Other Newbie Q re: kit size

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyogal

Reaction score
I am wondering, since these kits vary so much in size, can one divide one into 2 or more batches, keeping the fruit products in the freezer?

I'm just starting out & bought an equipment kit to start my "new hobby", but these juice/fruit kits appear to require all different sizes of equipment!

Are the additives marked well enough in terms of the amount (weight or volume) to be able to divide them? I just don't want to invest in a kit and find out later that I also have to double or triple the amount of equipment necessary. (And storage space!) Thanks!

Last edited:
If this is your first time making wine I HIGHLY discourage you from deviating from the instructions.
Most grape wine kits make 6 gallons of wine, some are 3 or 5 gallons. the only additional equipment you'd need for the various sizes are different sized carboys, the large glass container.

Get a cheap kit, some are as little as $45 on amazon. And make the entire thing according to the instructions.

The equipment kit that you bought should be good for a standard size kit

The wine kits are typically make 6 gallons, with the exception of dessert wines (port style), which make 3 gallons.

Until you know what you are doing, stay away from cans of juice. I would also recommend staying away from 5 gallons of fresh/frozen juice/must until you have a few kits under your belt.

All you "need" for a standard kit are:
7.5 gallon primary bucket with lid
6 gallon carboy (preferably glass)
bung and airlock
hydrometer
Wine thief that fits hydrometer
racking cane and tube
whip/spoon to degass
Sanitizing solution (like starsan)

I am wondering, since these kits vary so much in size, can one divide one into 2 or more batches, keeping the fruit products in the freezer?

Make sure you don't confuse the "size" of the kit with how much wine they make. With the exception of dessert wines almost all kits make ~23 l (30 - 750 ml bottles). The difference between a 10 l, 16 l, 18 l etc. kit is how much water you need to add to bring the total volume up to 23 l.

Like everyone else said, most wine kits make 6 gallons (23L). Some of the more unusual wine kits make only 3 gallons, but they are desert type wines or ice wines.

The only 5 gallon wine kits I know of are from Williams, and they are really not for beginners (really weak on instructions and additives) but make fantastic wine.

You will need other size carboys for other things, like fruit or juice wines. Its almost a given that you will not have the right size carboy someday, no matter how many different sizes you own...its the curse of all winemakers.

Back