Newbie on the loose

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So if I have an auto siphoning hose and just siphon it to the secondary container that is considered degassing?

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Siphoning does not really degas. Half the weight of the sugar in your wine is converted to CO2. That is a LOT of gas. And while some of that CO2 dissipates into the air during the active phase of the fermentation, a great deal of the gas is dissolved in the wine and the wine is saturated with CO2. Changes in temperature of the room or changes in the air pressure will force some of the CO2 from the liquid but time will release the CO2 from the wine, or hand stirring, or whipping with your drill attached to a degassing whip or pulling the gas out by creating a vacuum and sucking it out.. Siphoning CAN help but you would need to splash rack the wine - that is , you will need to let the wine run down the inside walls of the carboy, but a single racking won't make a great difference. But if you allow the wine to age and rack every two or three months then after a few rackings you will have far less CO2 dissolved in the wine.
Not sure if everyone will agree with me here, but unless you deliberately want CO2 in your wine having a perceptible amount of carbon dioxide in the wine changes how it tastes - CO2 produces carbonic acid AND the effervescence carries the taste and aroma of the wine in ways that still versions don't.
And from your beer making you may know that storing liquids with multiple volumes of CO2 can produce popped corks or bottle bombs. Three volumes of CO2 in a wine bottle is probably the limit a bottle can take.

Okay I watched some videos and I get it now, and yeah the brew store near me had some moderately priced kits

Okay I'm racking my wine in a bit tonight. I used the coat hanger trick to make a degasser and have a drill. What I plan on doing is first degassing the wine in the original container and then transferring to the Carboy using an auto siphon. I have potassium sorbate for stabilizer and a 2 stage clearing agent called super Kleer kc. I plan on adding them to the wine in that order after transfer. Then I'll just be sealing it up.

Did I go wrong anywhere in there? Also, does anyone have the amounts to add per gallon for the stabilizer? Last but not least, is there any alternative to using a bung on the Carboy?

Thanks! Hopefully that wasn't too confusin. (I read that 1/2 teaspoon of potash sorbizzle was good per gallon, just double checkin on that.)

Last edited:
Wine racked! Will probably start a new thread when I finish and taste it but check it out.
ImageUploadedByWine Making1394011538.880959.jpg The other carboy is a maple syrup stout we just put into secondary as well. Lost my second bung so here is the ghetto rig we got goin on the wine. ImageUploadedByWine Making1394011646.177210.jpg Being the astute college kids we are, we didn't fret when we realized we were out of rubber-bands. Instead we improvised and used a condom. A god damn condom.

I'll prolly buy a bung tomorrow though to be a bit more legit. Cheers!

Love the use of a condom :) what SG did you rack it at? If it's still producing CO2, I could imaging you would have a ballon when you next check on it.

What went into your maple stout? It looks delicious!

You know you could have described all that without cursing my God.

Kind of off topic... But isn't birth control a sin in some religions? Therefor condoms would be "god damned" in some religious groups.

;)

Well I do apologize if I offended anyone. I simply added that line for cinematic appeal.

What went into your maple stout? It looks delicious!

It was a bit of a confusing recipe we acquired but basically it included lots of gourmet syrup (the most expensive and awesome looking one we could find) and the usual stuff.

Also, lol on that Thor comment.

Latest posts

Back