Newbie...Oaking a Shiraz in Primary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jodsterag

Junior
Reaction score
Howdy folks from Aggieland! I just started my Mosti Mondiale Vinifera Noble Shiraz last night, and after reading a few posts on here, I wanted to find out if I should really add the Oak chips during primary (instructions say secondary)? The last thing I want is to have oak chips in my bottling that I can't remove!!

Also, should I place the chips in a straining bag, (or cheesecloth, since I don't have a bag right now!!) if I decide to put them in secondary?

Thanks for helping the new guy on the block!!

Welcome!

I'd follow the instructions and place the oak in secondary as you get better extraction, and more pronounced oak flavor, which is perfect for a Shiraz. You will have to rack at least 2 more times anyways, and that will eliminate the oak for you. The next racking will be to stabilize and clarify, and the final racking will be either to bulk age, or to bottle. Always rack to a clean carboy or container to bottle, so that you don't disturb the sediment that will form on the bottom of the carboy.

You can also just let the chips fall loose. Bags in carboys are too hard to remove.

Jodsterag, Dean has given you great advice. Welcome to this great hobby and forum. Hope you stay and share your experience.

Latest posts

Back