Mosti Mondiale Newbie finishing 1st batch ??'s

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

block-carver

Junior
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have appreciated everyones input and help so far! This has been a fun and learning experience. I look forward to my next batch!!

I just finished racking after clarifying. During racking I filtered the wine with a vinbrite filter My wine still seems to have a lot of CO2, it foamed some while transferring. After completion I stirred once with my mix-stir and got quite a large amount of foaming.

During the degassing stage I took a couple of extra days trying to get the gas out and have been very unsuccessful it seems. I would stir and get lots of bubbles and foam, stop, wait until it disappeared and do again, repeat, repeat, etc.

Any suggestions?

How long should it take to degas?

Should I add some K-meta at this point while I try to degas?

Thanks for the help!!

I had major problems degassing on my first 2 batches as well. Of course I was just trying to stir with a big spoon. I have since gotten the mix-stir and a brake-bleeder vacuum pump which does the trick very nicely. They are available at Harbor Freight tools for under $15 I do believe and they are very easy to use. I've also heard that bulk aging will help to degas the wine over time and I am trying that along with the pump this time.

I too use both the mix stir and brake bleeder(vacuum) cause the proof is in the pudding! There is a gauge on the vacuum and when you can hold a vacuum of 15" pr more then you know you are done. Unless you are bulk aging for some time it is very hard to get enough gas out of a kit wine.

What do you do with the vacuum pump?Does it serve the same purpose as the auto syphon?

Thanks.
smiley25.gif

Wade, correct me if I am wrong, but the vacuum pump/brake bleedercreates vacuum pressure inside the carboy and helps, or pulls, the CO2 out of the wine.

MajBob, there are several threads on the site, I think under wine making equipment that mention this technique.

I am going to try it when I can get my hands on one at a reasonable price. In the mean time anysuggestions. Just keep on with the mix-stir.

Do I need to add more K-meta at this time or wait until I bottle???

We've found theVacu-Vin does a really nice job. We stir, stir some more, then use the Vacu-Vin. It really makes a difference and it easy and cheap to do.

Im with you PWP..that has also become my preferred method of degassing

That mityvac that Wade always suggests, does a more than adequate job. But then again, anyone that disagrees with Waldo should be banned from the forum, so I'm sure his method is fine also.
smiley20.gif
Edited by: myway22

Latest posts

Back