Newbie equipment question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank19

Junior
Reaction score
I've never made my own wine so at the moment I have no equipment. I see so many different options online that I'm not sure where to start. There are a lot of kits out there that claim to have everything you need to get started but the prices vary quite a bit. Does anyone have any advice for me? Should I purchase a supply kit or should I purchase things individually? If its a kit does anyone know of one that is better than the others?

Also, most of the kits I see online look like they consist of basic supplies like 5 gallon buckets etc. If that is the case can I save some money by purchasing some of the equipment individually.

Thanks in advance for the help!

-Frank

I recently just started myself. My advice is to buy an equipment kit. At some point in time you will need everything in the kit. If you buy individually, you'll be constantly be making trips back to the store. FWIW, I bought the deluxe kit. It has a few more things included.
Final cautionary note: Be very careful, this is not a hobby, it's an addition.

Good Luck!!!

Ck out our "Vendor" list on the home page.

You will always get a better deal when getting a "winemaking equipment kit" vs buying seperate. Check out these vendors. It may be best to call them and tell them what you will be making. One of these vendors will give a newbe discount.

I recently just started myself. My advice is to buy an equipment kit. At some point in time you will need everything in the kit. If you buy individually, you'll be constantly be making trips back to the store. FWIW, I bought the deluxe kit. It has a few more things included.
Final cautionary note: Be very careful, this is not a hobby, it's an addition.

Good Luck!!!

And to SOME;

An OBSESSION !

Thanks for the help guys. I'll start looking around for a good starter kit.

I am pretty much a newbie at this as well. Ive only made about 3 batches now. I read Berry and Garey's books, then started with a welch's recipe and bought the bare minimum of what I THOUGHT I would need for a 1 gallon batch. I bought carboys, a hydrometer, and all the stuff in its ingredient list, and some basic sterilization stuff. I have bought a few more things as I needed them. I wanted to start with 1 gallon so I could get the method down and not take up too much space. I could also start cheaper and get a few batches going at once.

I have two 5 gallon carboys that Im saving up for blackberry or mustang grape.

Thats just what I did. Then I come here for help with technique or problem solving. Getting a kit to start with is probably a better route, although I did not do that. I typically do most things a little backwards though.

I found a local place that sells a starter equipment kit for about $80. I'm going to pick that up this weekend and get started. Thanks again!

Id advise you allto buy the best kit you can afford! Otherwise youll e replacing all the cheesy stuff with better stuff like a hand corker. Do yourself a favor and get floor corker. The cheaper Portuguese floor corker is fine unless you plan on using synthetic corks as some of thise corks are very hard and the nylon jaws can sometimes leave creases in them allowing small leaks. I use this corker and good quality normal corks and have been doing so for many years no problem. I will also recommend a drill mounted stirrer and a auto siphon.

Id advise you allto buy the best kit you can afford! Otherwise youll e replacing all the cheesy stuff with better stuff like a hand corker. Do yourself a favor and get floor corker. The cheaper Portuguese floor corker is fine unless you plan on using synthetic corks as some of thise corks are very hard and the nylon jaws can sometimes leave creases in them allowing small leaks. I use this corker and good quality normal corks and have been doing so for many years no problem. I will also recommend a drill mounted stirrer and a auto siphon.

All good advise. I have a basic kit which wouldbwork, but after reading lots and lots of info here I haven't even opened the hand corker. I now have a floor model, auto-siphon, extra carboys, and lots of time invested. I have never tried any yet but have 3 kits clearing, 3 box kits waiting to be opened, and tonight started a juice bucket. Obsessive compulsive??

Latest posts

Back