Newbie Equipment List

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davemo

Reaction score
Ok folks i am getting ready to place an order for the equipment i will need to start making fruit wines.I looked at several "kits" but they either included things i already had like booklets ,or were incomplete in some area. I have already purchased The Joy Of Home Winemaking by by Terry Garey and find it to be an excellent guide so far. I want you more experienced wine makers to take a look at my list and give your opinions on what changes if any i should make. I am planning on using a campden tablet solution for my sanitizer and ordered a larger fermenter size since i have access to a lot of fruit trees. ok here is the list
  1. two 6.5 gallon plastic fermenters with lids
  2. two airlocks
  3. auto siphon
  4. 5 ft of 5/16 hose to fit siphon
  5. Triple scale hydrometer
  6. Fermtech winethief, can use with hydrometer
  7. Strain Bag
  8. 100 campden tablets
  9. 8 oz acid blend
  10. 4 oz yeast nutrient
  11. 4 oz yeast energizer
  12. pottassium sorbate
  13. pectic enzyme
  14. 4 oz wine tannin
  15. several packets of yeast

Ok any suggestions would be appreciated and Thanks ahead of time;)

Ok folks i am getting ready to place an order for the equipment i will need to start making fruit wines.I looked at several "kits" but they either included things i already had like booklets ,or were incomplete in some area. I have already purchased The Joy Of Home Winemaking by by Terry Garey and find it to be an excellent guide so far. I want you more experienced wine makers to take a look at my list and give your opinions on what changes if any i should make. I am planning on using a campden tablet solution for my sanitizer and ordered a larger fermenter size since i have access to a lot of fruit trees. ok here is the list
  1. two 6.5 gallon plastic fermenters with lids(would make them the 7.9 gallon if available)
  2. two airlocks
  3. auto siphon
  4. 5 ft of 5/16 hose to fit siphon
  5. Triple scale hydrometer
  6. Fermtech winethief, can use with hydrometer
  7. Strain Bag
  8. 100 campden tablets(would go with potassium metabisulphite powder instead- easier to use)
  9. 8 oz acid blend
  10. 4 oz yeast nutrient
  11. 4 oz yeast energizer
  12. pottassium sorbate
  13. pectic enzyme
  14. 4 oz wine tannin
  15. several packets of yeast
  16. 5 and 6 gallon carboys(for secondary fermentation){if not already owned}
  17. cleaner (b-brite or some other food save equivalent oxygen based cleaner)
  18. universal drilled bungs to fit carboy necks for use with airlocks
  19. stick on thermometers to monitor must temperatures
  20. carboy cleaning brush
  21. stirring device, whether it be the drill mounted stirrer or paddle
  22. corker(can be purchased later when getting ready to bottle)
  23. bottle filler(can be purchased later when ready to bottle)
  24. bottle tree(to drain cleansed bottles on to dry when getting ready to bottle){can be purchased later)
  25. sulphiter(bowl mechanism with squiting attachment){makes bottle sanitizing easier}{can be purchased later as well}
  26. corks(can be purchased later when ready to bottle)
Ok any suggestions would be appreciated and Thanks ahead of time;)

please note my suggestions in red above....i am just making these suggestions based on not knowing what equipment you already have and what is utilized in the wine making process...have fun!!!...and happy fermenting....

Ken nailed a bunch of it

Along with 5 or 6 gallon carboys, you'll probably want some 3 gallon carboys and 1 gallon jugs.. I know i made it all of a year with 5 gallon carboys and 1 gallon jugs before i ended up adding both 6 & 3 gallon carboys - you'll want an airlock for every carboy or jug, plus a couple extra because sometimes they get grimy (depending on the solution you use inside, im speaking from using just water)

Might also suggest a back-up hydrometer

And i have 5ft of hose - its barely long enough to get me from the tabletop to the carboy on the floor - and i have had it slip out before... Might want 6ft

To save you some trouble, i would swap out #10 & #11 with something better than generic.. You dont have to buy a lot to begin with, but the higher-grade nutrients will save you some headaches down the road (mostly H2S/rotten egg)

Go-Ferm - for yeast rehydration (has specific steps to use)
Fermaid K (DAP-based nutrient; read "synthetic")
Fermaid O (organically certified nutrient)

Ditto what Ken suggested.

lol...thanks, dan....guess you can tell i've been around a batch or 2 of wine in my day....lol....oh....and i just remembered one other item....not a necessity, but definitely a time and back saver....vacummpumpman's (steve) all in one wine pump....something you might want to consider sometime down the road....when and if you decide to get one, you will then also need to order 2 3/8 in racking canes....but like i said, you can worry about that later...any questions about that, just check out dangerdave's ailinone wine pump review thread under equipment and sanitation...oh, just remembered another item if you choose to go filter your wines in the future...you will need to buy a filtering device of some type or another, and that will depend on how much you want to spend on it, and whether you want mechanical, vacuum, or gravity driven....

Oh, i forgot...

You'll want measuring spoons for k-meta/pectic enzyme/tannins/nutrients/etc

A bathroom scale helps weigh fruit, if you're going the fruit wine route

A gram scale is more accurate than measuring spoons for additions, but i wouldnt consider that "newbie" stuff

A spray bottle to fill with K-Meta + Citric Acid for a sanitizing solution

Oxy-Clean (+ carboy brush) or some sort of food-safe cleaner (not bleach or dishwashing/hand soap) for heavy-duty gunk that builds up in fermenters and carboys

Ok thanks for the reply's.This is definitely the feed back i was looking for .Now maybe you can help with a couple questions i had ,and some reasoning (maybe erroneously i had). First with the carboys i was planning on using one plastic bucket as a primary and the second as a secondary fermenter,i found these actually cheaper than the carboys and i am not planning on having a lot of different wines in secondary at once.I will freeze my excess fruit for now.Plus i am kind of on a budget as far as spending right now.Second on the potassium metabisulphite powder i had considered it but the website said it starts to break down as soon as it contacts air and i wasn't sure if i could store it very long and keep it viable plus can i use it as a sanitizer? I am admittedly trying to cut a few corners such as buying separate sanitizer,bottle tree,sulphiter,and i forgot to include an add on kit that includes 12 bottles i believe 30 corks and a hand corker which i had included in my budget. I did include the auto siphon because it just seems like a pain trying to get a good flow going by sucking on the tube lololol.Can i possibly use the auto siphon and tubing to actually fill my bottles?

Ok thanks for the reply's.This is definitely the feed back i was looking for .Now maybe you can help with a couple questions i had ,and some reasoning (maybe erroneously i had). First with the carboys i was planning on using one plastic bucket as a primary and the second as a secondary fermenter,i found these actually cheaper than the carboys and i am not planning on having a lot of different wines in secondary at once.I will freeze my excess fruit for now.Plus i am kind of on a budget as far as spending right now.Second on the potassium metabisulphite powder i had considered it but the website said it starts to break down as soon as it contacts air and i wasn't sure if i could store it very long and keep it viable plus can i use it as a sanitizer? I am admittedly trying to cut a few corners such as buying separate sanitizer,bottle tree,sulphiter,and i forgot to include an add on kit that includes 12 bottles i believe 30 corks and a hand corker which i had included in my budget. I did include the auto siphon because it just seems like a pain trying to get a good flow going by sucking on the tube lololol.Can i possibly use the auto siphon and tubing to actually fill my bottles?

Plastic works for primary fermentation, but not for long-term storage like whats needed during the degassing, clearing, and bulk aging of the wine. Granted you can bulk age in bottles perfectly fine, but this still doesnt get you through degassing & clearing which can take anywhere from 6 weeks (with lower-grade kits, skeeter pee, etc) to 12 months or longer (for meads/melomels, etc) - you need glass carboys to keep your wine safe during this period.. Cutting corners in winemaking is alright most of the time, but your glass isnt a corner to cut

K-meta powder will lose its effectiveness over time, but the cooler (and stable) temp you keep it (not frozen) and the less air contact time it has, both help it stretch.. Even in poorer conditions, it'll still usually last a year ... And yes, it works nicely as a santizer, just doesnt work so hot as a heavy-duty gritter-getter, which is why i mentioned Oxy-Clean earlier

Freezing your fruit is always a plus, as the water within the fruit expands into ice, it rips little holes in the fruit & once thawed again, the juice more-readily leaks out of the fruit

If you havent already bought the kit with the hand corker in it, save your moolah - the corks are usually low grade, and the hand corker gives a lot of people problems; portuguese floor corkers are 60 bucks and will last so long, that you forgot how much you paid for it..

You'll find the autosiphon is a bit fast for bottling, even if it were to fit into the bottle neck. "Bottling buckets" - plastic bucket with a spout on the bottom, are cheap & easy to attach a small diameter (cant remember right now) hosing & "bottling wand" ($1.50?), which fits in the bottles and has a spring-loaded stopper at the bottom that you press on the bottom of the bottle to let the wine into the bottle, lift up when the bottles full and when you remove the bottling wand, the wine level is right where it needs to be, for corking.

A fairly good pH meter and some Sodium Hydroxide will come in handy for checking acid and pH. Wine making is a crap shoot without knowing acid levels when making wine from different fruits.

A fairly good pH meter and some Sodium Hydroxide will come in handy for checking acid and pH. Wine making is a crap shoot without knowing acid levels when making wine from different fruits.

Nice catch, dunno how i overlooked that

If you cant afford a pH meter, "TA kits" (titritable acidity, 10 bucks at the LHBS usually) will help measure the acidity levels although its a different reading than pH - they both become important farther down the road..

Ok folks thanks for all the advice.Here is what i think i can swing.First let me say i am looking at Midwest supplies for my equipment purchases.Any other suggestions are welcome this is the most reasonable place i have found.Instead of the 6.5 gallon fermenter i can get a 6.5 gallon bottle bucket which has a spigot attached and a lid so i can still use it as a fermenter.Are the spigots prone to leak i wonder??? Or i could use my original buckets and buy a bottle filler that will accept my 5/16 tubing so i can use the auto siphon and bottle filler to bottle with???? I can also swing a gilda compression corker or a double lever corker. The glass carboy i could maybe swing if i replaced one of the plastic buckets with it but MAN they are expensive.

You wont need the corker, corks, bottles, bottling wand, bottling bucket, bottle tree, or sulphitor right away - so if you can make another order later (in a few months), that'll save you some cash right now...

Where are you? A Local homebrew shop should have competing prices on the bulk items - fermenting buckets, carboys - and you wont have to pay the shipping.

The spigot on the bottling bucket shouldnt leak (always test the bucket with water first), but using it as a fermenter would cause me to sleep light at night - the valve on the spigot isnt the highest grade (doesnt need to be when your bottling) and flips up without much pressure, which would put your still-fermenting wine all over the floorspace

Considering we've listed most everything you could use to get started, you could easily add the parts to your Cart without one of the "Equipment Kits", but if you're dead-set on an equipment kit from Midwest Supplies, this one has the least amount of junk / most amount of useable stuff that you'll use for the longest period of time... Even comes with the Port. floor corker

Ok folks thanks for all the advice.Here is what i think i can swing.First let me say i am looking at Midwest supplies for my equipment purchases.Any other suggestions are welcome this is the most reasonable place i have found.Instead of the 6.5 gallon fermenter i can get a 6.5 gallon bottle bucket which has a spigot attached and a lid so i can still use it as a fermenter.Are the spigots prone to leak i wonder??? Or i could use my original buckets and buy a bottle filler that will accept my 5/16 tubing so i can use the auto siphon and bottle filler to bottle with???? I can also swing a gilda compression corker or a double lever corker. The glass carboy i could maybe swing if i replaced one of the plastic buckets with it but MAN they are expensive.

i definitely understand being on a budget, believe me, but my main question is why you are so dead set on the 6.5 gallon bucket?....i only ask because unless you are only planning on making, say, 3 gallon batches, considering you are going to be using fresh fruit, i think you are not going to have enough room, and will be running the risk of your fermentation bubbling over and creating a huge mess to clean up...that is the only reason why i suggested the 7.9 gallon buckets....that gives you a little more room, as your straining bag full of fruit is going to displaced quite a bit of liquid over the first week of fermentation, where you keep it in your bucket...now if you were just doing from juice, it wouldn't be an issue doing 5 gallon batches in the 6.5 gal bucket, but i still don't think you'd have enough headspace during primary fermentation for 6 gallons, or to do most kit wines as they are 6 gallons as well, and when primary fermentation takes off, it can be quite vigorous, causing lots of foaming and frothing....just giving you my 2 cents worth is all, but like i said, i can relate to the budget thing for sure...

With the wife's permission I started in Jan. with a kit. I've made 3 other orders for equipment/stuff to proceed. Each later order, the wife starts complaining about me ordering this stuff. I tell her that I have to have the right tools to do the job. And she gets over it. I just made my last order 2 days ago and have decided to let her find out when she does the bank statement. This because, it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission. I still need bottles, so that'll be another surprise for her later.

Hopefully Your 1st batch of wine buys years of forgiveness.

One thing I did not see but I can't do without is a measuring cylinder (beaker) for use with your hydrometer (one of your most important pieces IMO)

Get your bottles from your co-workers / friends / anyone who you can get them from. Oh and 1 gallon wine jugs work great for small batches when you are "experimenting". Should be able to get them free. Just use some good ole elbow grease to clean'm up and remove the labels.:br

Hey just wanted to thank all the folks who offered advice to me about the equipment.I am gonna have to delay my purchase until around April(wife and i got a new fridge $$$$)But will have my stuff way before the fruit becomes ripe so thanks again:try

Latest posts

Back