Newbie degassing questions.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidNW

Reaction score
Hi,

I currently degas my wine kit made wine for 20 minutes, using an improvised wine whip made from a white plastic coat hanger – which resembles the shape of a tick mark.

I attach this wine whip to a cordless power drill and degas for the above-mentioned 20 minutes. I degas my wine in a fermentation bin, as I find it easier than degassing in a carboy – anyway, the wine whip would not pass through the neck of the carboy.

I want to extend my degassing from just the one 20 minute session to three 20 minute sessions over three consecutive days. This way, I'm hoping to achieve an even smoother finish to the end product.

1. Is this excessive degassing?
2. Will the wine be okay in the fermentation bin for 3 days – which will be fitted with a tight snap on lid and fitted with a fermentation lock?

Many thanks for any input.

DavidNW:

I don't have a lot of experience degassing in a pail (which I assume is what you mean by bin); however, I am under the impression that it is more effective than degassing in a carboy.

In your other post you mention that your wine seems properly degassed to you. If so, why bother to change your process.

Finally to answer your question, I would not leave my wine in a 'bin' for 3 days.

Steve

During fermentation stir often releasing CO2.

Don't rack until fermentation is complete.

Splash rack or stir back and forth with a long plastic spoon to release CO2.

Or you can use a vacuum pump.

Wine will over time release CO2 but not all.

Problem with drill degassing may oxygenate wine doing fore harm than good. Back and forth agitation is a good way to degass unless you use a pump.

Put a little in a beaker. Shake. Remove thumb and listen for a fffft. If you do then you still have C02 in the wine.

DavidNW:

I don't have a lot of experience degassing in a pail (which I assume is what you mean by bin); however, I am under the impression that it is more effective than degassing in a carboy.

In your other post you mention that your wine seems properly degassed to you. If so, why bother to change your process.

Finally to answer your question, I would not leave my wine in a 'bin' for 3 days.

Steve

Thanks Steve. I'm satisfied with my current degassing process, but take your point about change. The wine seems fine by it. Just thought I could improve things, but I guess the old saying of 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' may be the way to go.

During fermentation stir often releasing CO2.

Don't rack until fermentation is complete.

Splash rack or stir back and forth with a long plastic spoon to release CO2.

Or you can use a vacuum pump.

Wine will over time release CO2 but not all.

Problem with drill degassing may oxygenate wine doing fore harm than good. Back and forth agitation is a good way to degass unless you use a pump.

Put a little in a beaker. Shake. Remove thumb and listen for a fffft. If you do then you still have C02 in the wine.

Thanks, I'll bear your comments in mind.

Latest posts

Back