New Winemaker Equipment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotta warm you, once you get a car boy wet it seems to multiply. Welcome to winemakingtalk. Great bunch of folks here. We’re all here to learn.
Ain't that the truth, my brother gave me my 1st kit witch included a primary fermenter, 1 gal secondary, siphon hose, bung, airlock, and some starsan I started 1gallon of blackberry that night. The vary next day bought another primary and started 5gal of strawberry.......here we are only 4 months later and 5 different wines going (17gal total) still aint bottled anything but I'm getting another carboy this week trying to decide what to start next

The best advice I got 2 years ago when a group of us at work started making wine is to have different size storage containers and to just go ahead and buy two five gallon glass carboys, two 3 gallon, two 1 gallon, and re purposed two glass growlers (1/2 gallon). Get appropriate stoppers and airlocks and you're set for what ever happens. You always want your containers full with minimal airspace, hence the need for multiple sizes. And Craigslist this time of year will have Carboys. I just looked and locally a guy has (3) 5 gallon carboys for $20. I'm sure it's similar where you are.

For primary fermentation, plastic buckets are commonly used, but they are small, and you'll quickly graduate to 20-30-40 gallon size Brute trashcan style fermenters. Buy at Home Depot (gray or white have appropriate NSF certs, but all colors can be used).

A hydrometer (which you may have from brewing), 3/8 racking cane, and appropriate tubing and you are good to go. You'll get better gear as you go.

You are likely already smart about sanitation from brewing, but unlike brewing, bleach is generally not used. I clean everything with PBW, and sanitize with Star San, just like brewing.

If you enjoy making wine, within 1 year you will have at least double the above carboys and will be looking at real storage vessels.

Forget the bottling stuff for now. You are many MONTHS away from needing that. But if a used Itialian corker does not come up on Craigs, Amazon has it reasonably priced and can get it to you in 2 days, so buy it just before bottling and let someone else store it. In floor corkers, the blue Ferrari is the one you want.

I have found that wine making at a home level takes up 10x the storage space of brewing on a home level so make sure you can make room.

Florida is going to be tough. You'll need temperature control of some sort, just like for brewing.

To get ready for next year's grapes, start with one (or two)of those frozen Must buckets. That's a more realistic start.

And read this excellent free document from MoreWine:

https://morewinemaking.com/web_files/intranet.morebeer.com/files/wredw.pdf

My two favorite retail winemaking shops are MoreWinemaking and Lodi Wine Labs. The local shop, which I would love to support more, is beer focused, unfortunately. Morewinemaking has essentially everything you will need at any level of home winemaking and I hear they have an East Coast outlet to speed shipping there.

Here ya go, in your Tampa Bay Craigslist(nearby). I bet $200 would buy the whole thing.

Complete wine making set up - $275
Very nice set of wine making equipment. High end elnova corker 3 glass and 2 plastic containers bottle washer testers various chemicals to sterilize equipment, corks bubblers etc.

Ain't that the truth, my brother gave me my 1st kit witch included a primary fermenter, 1 gal secondary, siphon hose, bung, airlock, and some starsan I started 1gallon of blackberry that night. The vary next day bought another primary and started 5gal of strawberry.......here we are only 4 months later and 5 different wines going (17gal total) still aint bottled anything but I'm getting another carboy this week trying to decide what to start next

Lol. I’ve got 30 to 45 gallons going all the time.

Lol. I’ve got 30 to 45 gallons going all the time.
Its addicting for sure....and I still aint bottled anything I just started like 3 months ago....kinda worried how much worse it'll get once i actually get a batch finished and start drinking it

Back