New wine room has humidity problems...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mixedgasdiver

Junior
Reaction score
Hello. Long time reader of this forum - thanks for all of the great information I've come across while lurking - finally found the need to post.

We're having a 3rd kid and as a result my wine hobby is getting kicked out of the last spare bedroom. My intent is to use a 12x16 stick built storage shed in my back yard that up until now has simply been a catch-all of "stuff."

This shed is 2x6 construction, 8' walls, 6/10 pitch roof, 1 window and 1 door - it's an actual building. The shed sits on a concrete slab that was poured directly onto compacted ground with 3/4 minus gravel under it. Here is my issue; once I cover the bird blocks when insulating, the concrete slab floor sweats when the temperature gets above 80 degrees. The moisture condensates at the peak of the ceiling and creates mildew. I need ventilation, but am lost as to what to use. I'm thinking something temperature controlled like a green house, but these are all just big fans in the wall. I live in Washington where the winters are cold and this won't do. Thoughts?

I want to nip this while I'm still in the building process and can change anything that's needed. If possible I'd like to leave the ceiling vaulted so it makes my small room appear larger.

Thanks in advance.

I think I just answered my own question. Spoke with a friend of mine who's a builder and he recommended the following;

1. Install a humidity controlled bathroom fan. Get the more expensive sending unit that will let you set the humidity that it comes on at vs. the cheaper one that's preset.
  2. Prepare and paint the floor with a moisture barrier such as DryLoc and then apply floor covering of choice over the top.

It will have insulation when I'm done - R25 in the both the walls and ceiling.

I had considered a whirlybird style vent, but to the best of my understanding those vent an attic space. In the case of my building, there will be no attic space and the whole area will remain vaulted.

Can you regulate the temps?

I would be afraid that the temps would climb pretty high in that small structure - and get pretty cold in the winter time..

Ok, just watched the video on the Whirly Bird website and this vents attic spaces only by sucking fresh air in through the bird blocks and expelling it out through the vent. It is not recommended for vaulted ceiling use.

Any other thoughts?

Temperature will be regulated in the winter by electric coil radiant heating that will be installed in the floor. Summer will be regulated by a window unit. Most often, wine will not be stored in here and will be moved to the finished basement for aging and after being bottled.

Last edited:
A little late now but lay 2" of rigid pink styro underneath and vapor barrier over the top then pour on this. I didn't do it for my garage and even tho I sealed it after pouring it still sweats. Somehow you need to vent and the stat control and fan it is good choice. You could added spacer rafters so you could still stay vaulted but also add insulation, almost truss like. It sounds like you have just rafters now. I used trusses and still retained the vault inside so could insulate the roof. It really helps it stay cool in the summer.

Latest posts

Back