New Vines Question Grapeman??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpdranc

Reaction score
Good Morning,
Quick question on new vines. All 120 vines planted few weeks ago doing great.

1) do I pinch off clusters now or after they flower or leave them alone?

2)is it ok to use these twist ties to very loosely tie vines to train one to top or irrelevant, just keep em off ground and cut entire vine back for next year?
3) normal for Traminette to be so far behind Briana and all other vines in growth?
4) Weed work done with Mantis tiller ok? I had no idea how long these vines would be, so holes are trenched out pretty deep to right of vines so I'm only disturbing top soil. Then treating with Round Up with nifty shield over sprayer to avoid any vine damage. That won't effect roots right, as its contact herbicide?ImageUploadedByWine Making1433595423.936714.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1433595520.973292.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1433595562.847056.jpg

First year vines you want to remove clusters as you are focusing on the root system

I would strongly advise against twist ties because the metal in the ties will girdle the vine. Many safe products out there to look at. I highly recommend the tapener.

I don't have experience with the vines you planted for question three

You can use roundup as long as you don't get it on of the green part of the leaf.

Thanks for answering havlikn. I have been at markets the last 3 days.
Any tipe of plastic tie tape works well including the tapener gun. Be sure and remove the ties at some point this year.
Traminette may be a bit behind the others now, but it does become very vigorous so don't worry about them.
Roundup is fine like said but some folks despise the company that created it so they will tell you not to use it. That is your choice but you need to control the weeds with some method. I have hand hoed acres before and let me tell you it is a daunting task when you are in the best of health.

2 weeks straight of heavy, heavy rain going to damage new vines, or will I be fine once sun finally makes an appearance? Even with great drainage rows are retaining TON OF WATER 12-16" DOWN NEAR ROOTS??

Latest posts

Back