New to WM but not to Wine. How good can I make it?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to chime in from the cheap seats (fruit wine making!) I am not sure what the wine cooler fruit wines are that you have had? I have a white young plum wine in a carboy that, last time I tried it, was what I would describe as "pinoty" - it was really quite nice, like a good red wine that had been run over by a plum bus. It is still a way off being great, but I think good fruit wines can surprise you - they are hard to find, however.

Sorry about the late post on this thread. I have just discovered it and boy, do I have things to say on this subject..

First off, welcome to the forum..

My background is that I come from a Hungarian family that has been grape growing and wine making commercially in Europe for 10 generations. I, myself, have been making wine for over 25 years.

I have to admit that I am a big fan of those classic chards and cabernets coming out of Napa, and am also a huge fan of classic French, Italian, and Spanish wines. I would also mention Hungarian wines, but the more classic, high quality wines do not really ever hit the US.

My tastes are driven from big, bold reds to the more soft "bouquet of flavor" that is a well made pinot noir.

All of my wines were made from "square two", starting with whole, fresh, high quality grapes.. (I say square two since I do not actually grow the grapes myself).

My wines seem popular to those that have tasted them. I have entered and won many awards in amateur competitions. One award even came with a free trip to Napa valley.

I say all of this not to brag or be snooty. There are many others here on this sight that are on a much higher plateau than myself.

Back in 1992, I attempted my first kit. It was cheap and really only contained a can of juice concentrate and a book of instructions. This wine turned out like garbage and I simply walked away from kits thinking that kits could NEVER produce the same quality as a wine made from whole fruit. Over the years I became rather smug about it.

Over time, kits have evolved and kit wines have been getting better and better. In the last 10 years, I have seen kit wines go from their own, separate category in competitions, to actually competing "head to head" with wines that have been made from fruit. Stubbornly, I hung on to the idea that kit wine could never be better.

Then Joeswine (a member on this site) sent me a 375l bottle of his San Giovese (SG)....

SG is a grape native to the Tuscany region of Italy. This grape produces what is arguably some of the finest wines in the world. .

This wine was spectacular! Solid, beautiful color, the right amount of oak that had just the right body and flavor. This was from a kit! I have been drinking wines from fresh fruit my whole life and this wine would have definitely fooled me.

In short, YES, you can produce a kit wine that is shockingly good! You just need to know that (much like purchasing grapes) the more expensive tends to be more quality.

Just to chime in from the cheap seats (fruit wine making!) I am not sure what the wine cooler fruit wines are that you have had? I have a white young plum wine in a carboy that, last time I tried it, was what I would describe as "pinoty" - it was really quite nice, like a good red wine that had been run over by a plum bus. It is still a way off being great, but I think good fruit wines can surprise you - they are hard to find, however.
Sorry to butt in on this topic, but I'm having trouble finding information on dry fruit wines. I enjoy wine from grapes and other alcoholic beverages, but I do not enjoy sweet drinks, rather complex tastes. I do not like all wines though. I like most red wines and some whites. I definitely don't like Moscato, well at least not the 3 or 4 different ones I have tried. What suggestions or direction can you give for how to make a couple of batches or even just to sample so I can know what to expect? Again I'm new and I'm sorry for the reply here, but I'm having trouble finding information on dry fruit wines.

WJ welcome to the forum, I would advice you start a thread on the subject if you can not find information that way your topic can get the attention it deserves. That being said, I made a dry fruit honey wine (melomel) that did really well. So, it is really possible to make good dry fruit wine, so long as it is properly balanced.

Back