New to wine making and first problem!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alison

Junior
Reaction score
Hi I have started my first go at Red currant wine but it isn't fermenting after 7 hours. One article said it could be because i had the lid on the plastic bucket when waiting for the Camden tablet to work (before adding the yeast) so the gasses couldn't escape. I only have 4.5l in a 3 gallon bucket. Do you think this is right and if so can I now do anything about it? Thankyou Alison

7 hours might not be enough time. It's harder in a bucket but does the juice look cloudy? That's an indication the yeast are active and floating about eating sugar.

Hi thank you for your reply the yeast is just sitting there still on the top. Even when i stir it is still just sitting there

Hi thank you for your reply the yeast is just sitting there still on the top. Even when i stir it is still just sitting there
I'm less familiar with wine yeast than I am with bread and beer yeast. Normally dead yeast sinks to the bottom once it becomes wetted. Ale style beer yeast will come to the top. Lager style beer yeast is bottom fermenting. I guess it's fair to ask what yeast you used at this point but it is way too early to panic. ;)

Its a red bordeaux yeast if that helps... I tried putting the bucket in some boiling water in case it was too cold to get yeast going but then got worried it may get too hot so took it out again!

Its a red bordeaux yeast if that helps... I tried putting the bucket in some boiling water in case it was too cold to get yeast going but then got worried it may get too hot so took it out again!
If you sprinkled it on top, you should just let it sit, not stir it in. It’ll be fine, but as it starts to activate and reproduce initially, a little oxygen contact can be good. As in the other thread (you don’t need to start two for the same thing), patience is required. Check back if you have no activity after 72 hours.

Others may disagree but wine making is more like gardening than engineering. You introduce some yeast to some fruit. The yeast will take care of business. The wine maker's task is to try to ensure that the yeast face as few obstacles and challenges as possible. Your job is to clear the path for the yeast and then take all the credit for what the yeast did. Engineering is different. If you don't do something then nothing happens and whatever happens happens because of what you did or failed to do. With wine making (in my opinion) the more we in fact do the less good is the final product. If your fruit is good then trust the yeast. Yeast have been fermenting fruit longer than humans have been walking the Earth.

activity might not occur for up to 48 hours. best way to check is with hydrometer. fermenter should just be covered with a cloth. once fermentation start stir at least twice daily.

Bernard is correct, patience.
Now a few logic points; currant is fairly acidic, the pH is probably around 3.0 Normal dilution reduces the concentration so a fermentation will start. Q1 did you dilute say 1 to 3 or 4?
You used fresh yeast which was stored properly
meta- I assume you put one campden in or maybe .25 gram if you weighed out powder, , should be ok for commercial, and kill wild yeast.
Oxygen is required in the primary, at 4.5 liters you have plea ty.
. . . patience , , as I try to quiet a grandkid after nap . .

Back