RJ Spagnols New RJS kit question / Oooops !!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyportale

Reaction score
I just started one of the new RJS Cellar Classic Cab. Saug. with skins. I had a brain fart and added (I sprinkled) the yeast in on top and forgot to add the oak powder. I just added the oak powder and stirred it in. However, by doing that now I have stirred the yeast in with the mixture. I stirred the pail to do my best not to have anything stuck to the inside of the pail. Am I FUBAR ?

Also, the kit said my reading should be between 1.095 - 1.100. My reading was around 1.085 - 1.090. Is that O.K.?

Thank you,
Tony

You will be fine. The yeast should be strong enough to survive this is one of the reasons RJS uses EC-1118 it is considered a indestructible yeast. Your sg is a little low but well with in parameters for a good wine. Good kit for sure.

You will be fine. The yeast should be strong enough to survive this is one of the reasons RJS uses EC-1118 it is considered a indestructible yeast. Your sg is a little low but well with in parameters for a good wine. Good kit for sure.
Thank you,
Is there something I should have done (for future reference) to elevate the SG to the proper level?

You can add sugar during fermentation to get your alcohol up, use your hydrometer to figure out how high you go with it. If you are still in your primary you can still add the sugar. At 1.085 your potential alcohol will be 11% to get it to 13% (1.100) you will need to add about 2# of sugar. Use your hydrometer and add bits at a time to get it where you want to be. I would'nt go much over 1.100 you'll have rocket fuel.

You can add sugar during fermentation, use your hydrometer to figure out how high you go with it. If you are still in your primary you can still add the sugar. At 1.085 your potential alcohol will be 11% to get it to 13% (1.100) you will need to add about 2# of sugar. Use your hydrometer and add bits at a time to get it where you want to be. I would'nt go much over 1.100 you'll have rocket fuel.

I just started the wine about 4 hours ago.
Do I add it dry or heat it up in water and add it in as 'syrup'.

Thank you all for your input. It is greatly appreciated taking the time to answer my question.

Should I leave it alone or add the sugar water?
Thank you,
Tony
Personally I would leave it alone. How well did you stir the juice/concentrate and added water before taking the sg reading?

Steve

Personally I would leave it alone. How well did you stir the juice/concentrate and added water before taking the sg reading?

Steve
I am with Steve if the water is the correct amount then the mix is only slightly stratified and will ferment out just fine and the skins will add up as well as the ferment progresses.

Steve
I stirred all of the mixture up pretty well.
I'll leave it along and hope. I'm doing something different with this kit. I'm just setting the lid on the pail and covering the airlock hole with a paper towel. I the past I've put an airlock on. I'm hoping doing this will help speed up the yeast to ferment. I haven't seen any action yet. It has been about 7 hours.

Tony, did you put the skins in a bag or just dump them into the wine? If you put them in a bag, tomorrow morning there should be a "pillow" on top of your wine. Sanitize your hands with k-meta solution and squeeze the bag frimly (not with a death grip), stir the wine well and retake the SG. I would not be surprized if it did not jump 0.001-0.002 from your initial reading. If you just dumped the skins in the wine, stir the wine and retake the SG reading. In either case, I bet it is up.

Tony, did you put the skins in a bag or just dump them into the wine? If you put them in a bag, tomorrow morning there should be a "pillow" on top of your wine. Sanitize your hands with k-meta solution and squeeze the bag frimly (not with a death grip), stir the wine well and retake the SG. I would not be surprized if it did not jump 0.001-0.002 from your initial reading. If you just dumped the skins in the wine, stir the wine and retake the SG reading. In either case, I bet it is up.

Yes, I put the skins in the bag. I did not know you could just dump the skins in. This morning I noticed a 'pillow' as you described. It is O.K. to stir the wine while the fermentation is starting?
Thank you,
Tony

Yes, Tony, you can either put the skins in a bag (my preferred way due to ease of racking to secondary) or just dump them into the wine (which is more like how they would be distributed if making wine from fresh crushed grapes). I like the bag for the way it confines the skins and makes them easy to remove.

You pitched the yeast yesterday so it is fully hydrated by now. I see no problem in a gentle, thorough stirring. Retake the SG and see if there is a change. Good luck.

I just started one of the new RJS Cellar Classic Cab. Saug. with skins. I had a brain fart and added (I sprinkled) the yeast in on top and forgot to add the oak powder. I just added the oak powder and stirred it in. However, by doing that now I have stirred the yeast in with the mixture. I stirred the pail to do my best not to have anything stuck to the inside of the pail. Am I FUBAR ?

Also, the kit said my reading should be between 1.095 - 1.100. My reading was around 1.085 - 1.090. Is that O.K.?

Thank you,
Tony

Been there, done that, relax, it will be fine! Those yeasties will find everything they need to survive. :D

It can easily take up to 24 hours to start seeing signs of fermentation. I would just forget about it for a day then see if it's stating to ferment. My guess is, you're in great shape. In wine, "when in doubt..Wait it out"

Been there, done that, relax, it will be fine! Those yeasties will find everything they need to survive. :D

I just punched down my skins and squeezed out the juice. I did a little stir and re-checked SG. It is just shy of 1.100
I guess I'm all good.
Thx all for the input.

Tony

Latest posts

Back