New member with a question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SarahPryor

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all! I am new to this forum and I know virtually nothing about wine. I would love to know more, but I've got a long way to go. My question at the moment is pretty general. My husband and I got married in 2011, and we would like a bottle of wine produced in that year that we can drink on our 25th wedding anniversary. We both prefer sweeter red wines. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sweeter as in Ports? A Port wine is about the only sweet wine that will probably last that long.

Sarah, that is a great idea. The problem you will have is A. finding a wine that will last that long and B. keeping it stored that long. I assume you are talking about a store bought wine, so here are some general guidelines: Reds generally last longer than whites, wine should be keep in a cool (55 degrees F is ideal), moist enough (75% RH is ideal), dark place that does not suffer any vibrations. A great wine that cellars well and lasts a long time is Barolo. I would go to a reputable wine store and find a good Barolo (they are not cheap). Now, another problem is you will not find a good 2011 Barolo until about 2014 or 2015, so you have some time to search and to save up $50 to $100.

Best of luck on your project and welcome to the forum.

ADDED NOTE: Sorry, I did not see your requirement for a "sweeter" wine. Barolo is not sweet, but by then your tastes may change.

Wow Rocky, that's great advice! I will start asking around and see if I can make a good enough contact that someone will get in touch with me when they have something. Do you know where in country is the best place to locate a good wine? I live in Washington now, but we travel a lot.

Thank you very much, I am excited to start my search!

A Barolo is not a sweet or even semi swet wine though, very dry. I don't thin k your going to find anything but Ports that are sweet and that will last that long, maybe a sherry.

Not knowing where in Washington you are, I would try for the large cities. I am sure that Seattle would have a good wine dealer or two. If you are traveling, New York, Chicago, LA and San Fran would be good choices. There are some really good on line sources. Try www.winespectator.com.

Woodenville (north of Downtown Seattle) is the "Mecca" for commercial wineries here in Washington State. 50+ wineries & tasting rooms.

Several other cities around the state have wine bars that you can order through, if you find a bottle you're looking for - say on Wine Spectator.. I know theres a wine bar here in Federal Way, but i haven't stopped in there yet.

I'm in Vancouver, but I have to go up to Seattle this coming week so I'll check it out. This is all really good information, I really appreciate it!

Latest posts

Back