New Member and First Batch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sokedai7371

Junior
Reaction score
Hey All,
This is my first time making wine and I have big shoes to compare to. My father in law is an Italian from off the boat and makes pretty good wine. He and his family, however, have switched to buying buckets of juice as time is getting shorter in life. A question for everyone is this. They do not use sulfites and do not use any chemicals at all. They have been just storing the buckets for 3 weeks with a vent on them and then racking it into carboys. They rack every 3 months and the wine comes out tasting very good. Is this ok to do???? I just bought 2 pales myself today and will try making some. I bought sanjovese and pinot noir. Should I do the same as them, or try killing the natural yeast first? the pinot noir already started fermenting. I know this because the top to the pale is already pushed out, so I inserted a blow by vent like I use when I brew beer. Also, the pinot noir smells a little "eggy". I will aerate that as well. Thanks for the input!!!!!

Many pails are pre-inoculated with a wine yeast, so you don't have to worry about wild yeast. Check with your vendor.

Steve

Hi sokedai7371,

Welcome to winemakingtalk. And like cfan says, check with your vendor. I buy buckets from LuvaBella, in Ohio and they innoculate with Lavlin 1118.

Back