New jersey winemakers talk

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I gotta say i was really pleased with Pintos, met the owner who was actually pulling grapes out of storage at 8am...think the fruit was better quality than corrados....
Question I have is on the crush....the better grapes seems to come away from stems better...i was using manual crusher.
A) is it more or or less impossible to keep all stems out of must even with destemmer? I did crushing over 1inch chicken wire to catch majority, then picked as much as possible by have when mixing in k meta and nutrient.
B)based on the mess I made in basment I'd say I need to do outdoors and figure out how to get from driveway to basement...what do you guys do?

Just an aside, any body hear from AJ? (JerseyFresh)Figured he'd be active this fall, and I really learned alot from him over the past year(you guys as well) an havent seem him so far this season...he was always a good read...

If using a web browser, up at the top right of every page is an envelope icon, they call them conversations.

If on the Android version of the app, there is an envelope looking icon at the top. Click on that, then the envelope with the + at the bottom to start a new conversation.
Thanks. The way it's set up made me believe it's not private.

So I gotta say i was really pleased with Pintos, met the owner who was actually pulling grapes out of storage at 8am...think the fruit was better quality than corrados....
Question I have is on the crush....the better grapes seems to come away from stems better...i was using manual crusher.
A) is it more or or less impossible to keep all stems out of must even with destemmer? I did crushing over 1inch chicken wire to catch majority, then picked as much as possible by have when mixing in k meta and nutrient.
B)based on the mess I made in basment I'd say I need to do outdoors and figure out how to get from driveway to basement...what do you guys do?
I use a motorized crusher/destemmer and it makes childs play out of destemming the grapes it takes longer to clean up than to crush and destem but although it gets all the branch stems out there is always small bits of stems that get through , I just leave them in and have no trouble with them. And outside is the place to do it.

Just an aside, any body hear from AJ? (JerseyFresh)Figured he'd be active this fall, and I really learned alot from him over the past year(you guys as well) an havent seem him so far this season...he was always a good read...

He's been MIA for a while. Miss his contributions.

Do any of you SJ winemakers know of a chemical supply where I can get 25% phosphoric acid used in the SO2 test kit from Morwine? It only comes with enough for 3 tests.. and the shipping charges for more are more than the product itself. Same issue with the sodium hydroxide for the TA test. I am down in Salem county, so anywhere in the Philly metro area would be good. The places I have found in searches seem to be for larger commercial buyers.
Thanks

have you tried talking to Gino Pinto's for assistance ?
Thanks, I can ask them when I call to check on my order, but they don’t have it in their catalog. And thanks, @Mac60 I will check them out. I know that they had a good price on the MLF test kit when I bought it there last year, which had similar chemical shipping issues.

Back