New degassing ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Degassing question. I have a mighty vac that I just bought and have
been using it on a 6 gallon batch of Cherry. At first it would pull a
lot of litte bubbles(S02) out of my wine between 18 -25hg's. Ive been
using it for 3 days now and still get bubbles but they are a lot bigger
bubbles now and only between 22-25hg's. It is new and wont hold a
steady pressure over night. Does this mean that there is stiil to much
gas in there or is it almost impossible to hols a steady pressure?

I would say that it is nearly impossible to make a complete airtight seal between the mighty vac and the carboy. Even a very small leak will cause you to lose vacuum overnight due to the relatively small volume of head space in the carboy.

Will the vac still produce bubbles when the wine is dgassed. The
bubbles are much different looking now as they werte when I started!

Yes, the vac will still produce bubbles, but only the really large ones, and even those will be infrequent. I use a combo of both stirring and vac degassing. I vac it over a few days, Drill stir for a 10 minute period of small bursts, then vac degas one more time. Depending on what cap you are using, will determine how air-tight you can get it. I use a large hose clamp around my orange cape to make sure it on really tight. I think I posted pics on here either last year or the year before just on how I do it.

I thought the loss of vacuum was due to the CO2 coming out of solution and becoming a gas and thus filling up the headspace with gas and thus decreasing the negative pressure. When the bubbling slows down the pressure seems to last longer when I do the vac degassing.

Latest posts

Back