New Beginner - 5 gal Recipes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaJinAK

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Jules. I am an absolute beginner to this and have been scouring the internet for tips and instructions. This site seems wonderful and filled with so much knowledge!
I am very limited with the supplies that I can gather up here and have found food grade 5 gal buckets and two used 5 gal glass carboys for sale. I would love to make Dragonsblood as my first attempt but cannot seem to find anything for 5 gal batches. I am worried that if I try to calculate down with some of the additives that I will really mess it up.
Has anyone made 5 gal batches and have any measurements for the additives, ie: yeast, nutrient, etc. that they are willing to share?
Thanks,
Jules

I give you two suggestions:

1. Go for 5 gallons
    The exact amounts of the additives is not that critical. Just multiply the amounts by 5/6. If this comes to an odd amount, just round it up or down a bit. Really, nothing in this recipe needs to be exact to within 20%.

2. Make some extra
    Better yet, just make it to 6 gallons. Ferment 3 gallons in each of your primary buckets. You will lose some volume to lees, so when you rack it to your 5-gallon carboy, you won't have that much left over, perhaps 1/2 gallon. Store these in, say, 1-qt. Mason jars in your fridge. You will need some more wine to top off the carboy after the next time you rack it, and you can use the wine from your fridge. Anything left over can be just thrown away or drunk.

Just a recommendation....start with regular lemon wine (aka Skeeter Pee) and then move to Dragons Blood. I've made both and prefer the SP (at least until the DB matures a little). Tasters agree...they love the SP!

Welcome to the WMT forum!

I think the between the first two replies you've got the information you need to get started with either SP or DB. Good luck!

Thanks for the replies. I thought about making the SP but it seems that I read you have to start with old lees?? Maybe I am confusing myself and I need to go back and re-read the threads.
Also, I have low temperatures that I am working under. It usually is between 65 and 68 degrees in my home. Is this going to be a problem with either of those two recipes.
I like the idea of starting 2 - 3 gallon batches and will probably go that way!!

Thanks,
Jules

Starting with old lees helps ensure the fermentation gets going well. There are ways around this. You could make a yeast starter. You could just sprinkle EC1118 yeast on top and hope -- it will probably start. You could withhold some of the lemon juice until the fermentation gets going, then add it in later.

From the skeeter pee FAQ: (http://skeeterpee.com/?page_id=19)

Q: Can I make a batch of Skeeter Pee if I don’t have a slurry?

A: You can. Some people have had luck simply sprinkling the yeast on top of the must in the place of using a slurry. Be cautioned though, that the ferment will take much longer to get started. It helps to whip the must with a wire whisk to introduce lots of oxygen and keep the must warm. Be prepared to wait up to a week to see signs of ferment. An alternative method that has been successful is starting a 1 gallon batch of wine using frozen concentrate, letting it go for 5 days to a week to get good and active, and then using the whole thing in place of a slurry.

Another recommendation...Do not use Youtube for anything related to winemaking.

Thanks so much for the helpful replies. I would really like to try Dragonsblood as I think it would really suit my taste. We will see though. I think I need to order one of those heater belt things before I try anything.
Jules

Ok. Finally have enough time at home to try this. The only yeast nutrient I could find says Wyeast Beer Nutrient Blend. Anyone know if I can use this? If not, will have to put things on hold and order.
Also, with the sanitizer. Do I just wash everything good then spray the heck out of it with the sanitizer and let it air dry?
Thanks for your help.
Jules

Latest posts

Back