New and about to buy initial equipment and kit.. Please advise!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get the floor corker. Fine Vine Wines has great service. You can also get stuff from Flying Barrel in Frederick or Maryland Homebrew in Columbia. Also, add yourself onto the Map page. Great to have another 'local' on the forum. :)
Oh also if you like to drink beer... You can make that and drink it while waiting for the wine to age properly.

I've already decided on the floor corker. I'm going to be getting my initial kit and all from Fine Vines (George was great). However, I plan to head down to Homebrew in Columbia to pick up a couple more Carboys this weekend.

It IS great to see another 'local'!! I can't seem to find the map page, where is it?

Also, I DO love my beer... Is the equipment really that similar? Its a good idea!

Last edited:
Oh... By the way... I noticed my local shop here in Columbia, MD carries pretty much just Vintners Reserve, a LOT of different Wine Expert (didn't you mention that Runningwolf???)

So, now... What from Wine Expert would you recommend for someone who prefers a full body, dry, smooth reds?

Trust me, I know how hard it is on my droid... But is it GEWURZTRAMINER you mean? I'm guessing so.... Both are whites though, which I appreciate as a wine, but don't necessarily love enough to spend the time aging...... Do you have any dry reds from Wine Expert you might recommend? .....When you get back in town and can type more of course (cause seriously... I have a droid, and it can be a pain in the ***)

Amy, the Reds from wine expert tend to be viewed as inferior on these boards because they no longer contain grape skins. Cellar Craft and RJ Spagnols both make kits that include actual grape skins which add to the body and complexity of the wine. If you are looking to make a good red wine, i'd go with one of them. I have a Wine expert vintner's reserve Cab Sav I am drinking right now, it's good but not great. For future purchases I will always make sure my red kits have grape skins. Hope this helps, good luck and welcome to the hobby.

Thanks davewaz. I suppose I was hoping to be able to buy some kits locally to save on shipping, but perhaps it isn't in the cards for me. That's okay, I'd rather have great quality :)

Thanks davewaz. I suppose I was hoping to be able to buy some kits locally to save on shipping, but perhaps it isn't in the cards for me. That's okay, I'd rather have great quality :)

I don't know about your area, but in mine, I can buy from George and pay the shipping, but still end up paying less than at any of my local LHBS's. Some of the savings has to do with not having to pay sales tax, also.

The Map is on the main forum page, scroll down to "other topics"
once you get to the map, click on the crosshairs on the lower bar and you can
add yourself to the map............. im the lone member in the middle of "nowhere Ontario"
:)

And you can't go wrong with any of the Winery Series kits from Spagnols.

Amy,
I see you live just south of me.
I can give you two local source suggestions.
Hartford Vineyard and Winery in Foresthill, MD(http://stores.harfordvineyard.com/-strse-template/index/Page.bok) helpful and friendly, plus I've been able to buy used Carboys from them from time to time, usually around 1/2 price of a new one....also, a good place to buy juice, rather than kits
My other favorite local source is "How do you Brew", in Newark, Delaware (http://www.howdoyoubrew.com). Very friendly, helpful, and they hold wine making class about twice a year. I've bought two kits from them, they are more expensive, but when you figure in shipping, they usually come out a little cheaper.
I bought my original equipment kit and first ingredient kit from George at the Winemakers toy store, as Dan and others have suggested, they are a very good source, and George always responds to my questions, and has been a great help.

Last edited:
Amy,
I see you live just south of me.
I can give you two local source suggestions.
Hartford Vineyard and Winery in Foresthill, MD(http://stores.harfordvineyard.com/-strse-template/index/Page.bok) helpful and friendly, plus I've been able to buy used Carboys from them from time to time, usually around 1/2 price of a new one....also, a good place to buy juice, rather than kits
My other favorite local source is "How do you Brew", in Newark, Delaware (http://www.howdoyoubrew.com). Very friendly, helpful, and they hold wine making class about twice a year. I've bought two kits from them, they are more expensive, but when you figure in shipping, they usually come out a little cheaper.
I bought my original equipment kit and first ingredient kit from George at the Winemakers toy store, as Dan and others have suggested, they are a very good source, and George always responds to my questions, and has been a great help.

Thanks! I bought all my initial equipment (should arrive in three business days) from George. I went down today to Home Brew in Columbia, MD to pick up another carboy in person though (only $40, so a lot better than shipping it). I can't wait to get started! The two places you mentioned look great. I'll certainly bookmark them.

Todays chore: research beer brewing and see what the additional cost might be.. :)

Back