WineXpert Nero D'Avola

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Tony. I wasn't aware there could be other varietals in the Rosso D'avola? Any idea what they might be?
Sorry, no idea. One of my favorite winemaking gurus suggested that it may have some Ruby Cabernet to help achieve a darker color. On the Mosti website they only refer to the Nero D'avola grape. But whatever the blend (or straight) it's delicious. I've made the MMR twice and loved it both times. I wish they (MM) would do it with skins.

But whatever the blend (or straight) it's delicious. I've made the MMR twice and loved it both times. I wish they (MM) would do it with skins.
I agree with you Tony, it would be great if (MM) could include Rosso D'avola in the impressions line. My wish list just keeps getting longer.:h

Thanks Tony. I wasn't aware there could be other varietals in the Rosso D'avola? Any idea what they might be?

I don't mean to step on this conversation, but I would imagine that Rosso D'Avola might be a mixture of many varietals. I would guess that a large part of the mix is Nero D'Avola but the mere fact that they use the words "Rosso D'Avola" (Rosso meaning "red," of course) really means "a red wine from Avola" which is a small town on the Sicilian coast south of Siracusa. The word "Rosso" is normally used when a single varietal cannot be specified, i.e. at least 75% of the juice is from that variety.

Update on the WE Nero D Avola
Wow Wow Wow. Opened a bottle that was pitched Jan 2012 and bottled Aug 2012. Served at a family dinner remembering the first anniversary of my fathers passing. The wine was truly delucious. The American oak dust I added at primary gave a wonderful coconut aroma and taste. Tons of fruit. No KT what so ever. Great oak from American and French spirals. Nice finish.
Funny thing is at bottling it was great. After several months in bottle it was barely fair. Yuck. Now at 22 months its fantastic. Not at all unlike the WE Petit Verdot I did prior to this. My bottom line experience may be that WE kits with skins are irratic for the first year or more but come around fantasticly. I hope the same holds true for the WE Brunello with skins that I just bottled.

Last edited:
I have many bottles of this wine and love it. Too bad WE is discontinuing it. I did order the RQ Nero and look forward to making it.

Latest posts

Back