Need to sanitize pasteurized juice?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

China-Clipper

Reaction score
Hello, I'm making a batch of apple spiced wine and am using Pasteurized Apple Cider (100% juice, no preservatives, no additives). It is cloudy and requires "shaking" to mix it up. My question is do I have to use sulfate first in the primary before waiting to add yeast, or can I just mix in the usual yeast, acid, tannin, and such to the juice? I would think the pasteurization would kill off any bad yeasties and bacteria, correct?

I always add campden when i rack, If i am using juice, etc from a store.
If i use fresh wild stuff, i add campden to the primary.Usually the fermentation and co2 keeps the wine from any bad stuff happening.

I have everything ready to go except for one item...yeast energizer. I won't be able to get to the brewshop for a few days. I have yeast and yeast nutrient; can I get by w/out the energizer?

for a few days, yes u can , give it a little xtra nutrient, until you get the energizer.
you can use superferment, which takes the place of both.....all in one.

you can away without using energizer, rarely do I use it. the nutrient is a more important important ingredient.

Well, it seems to be fermenting away; If I can't get any energizer in the next few days I might just let it keep "cooking" and follow SG readings.

Well, it seems to be fermenting away; If I can't get any energizer in the next few days I might just let it keep "cooking" and follow SG readings.

Not to hijack the thread, but you are from my wife's hometown. Her immediate family moved South from there back in 1968. She still has/had relatives in Lebanon.

Latest posts

Back