Need to Lower TA

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flame145

Reaction score
I just received a nice new digital ph meter and figured I would check out the wine I have aging. It is roughly only 2 months old. It was made in September of this year and all of my calculations were the 10 dollar box kit acid titration kit, which I could never be sure if the color changed enough or not enough.
Any way my new and accurate number are 3.38 Ph and 8.25 TA. So I want to lower the TA a little bit. I need to lower 53 gallons.
So I have read if I add 2.5 grams of Calcium Carbonate per gallon, it should lower TA by 0.1 %.
So I'm figuring to add 50 grams of Calcium Carbonate.
20 x 2.5 =50
20 x 0.1 = 2
So 8.25 TA - 2 TA = 6.25

Does this look right ???
Just was hoping someone could double check, So I don't screw this up anymore than I have too.. Thanks

Also have read that you should use Pot.bicarbonate post ferment.

Calcium carbonate should be used prior to fermentation.

Yeah - use potassium bicarbonate after ferment and calcium carbonate should be used before fermentation.

You can also cold stabilize it.

Yeah - use potassium bicarbonate after ferment and calcium carbonate should be used before fermentation.

You can also cold stabilize it.

it is post fermentation. I read that if I use Potassium bicarbonate I have to cold stablize. Which I will not be doing.

That was why i was going to use calcium carbonate.
Just unsure about my addition amounts. And am I using the correct formula

Im not big on math so Im not even going to attempt to try and work that out, there is also a limit to as much you can use or lower your acids without creating problems with your wines with these chemicals so be careful about that. One thing we would like to know is what kind of wine is this as some of the hybrid white wines are actually better with higher acidity and lowering it down might actually leave it flabby.

Luc, I would actually love it if you could take all this super useful info and post it in the how to area or give me permission to do so myself with credit being given to you obviously.

Im not big on math so Im not even going to attempt to try and work that out, there is also a limit to as much you can use or lower your acids without creating problems with your wines with these chemicals so be careful about that. One thing we would like to know is what kind of wine is this as some of the hybrid white wines are actually better with higher acidity and lowering it down might actually leave it flabby.

Luc, I would actually love it if you could take all this super useful info and post it in the how to area or give me permission to do so myself with credit being given to you obviously.

Its a red wine. I mixed 20 cases of sangiovese grapes with 7 cases of zifindel grapes. Strong bold red.

Latest posts

Back