Need to adjust ph but not sure how

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Need to bring ph level in 6 gallons of wine from 3.8 into 3.5 range. I have tartaric acid but not sure of how much to add. Thanks in advance.

pH is not something that you can make a calculation on. You need a pH meter really. pH strips are cheap but not very accurate.

Thanks for the replies.. I paid lab to test wine yesterday using a ph meter since I dont own one yet and Im not sure as to how much to add? Teaspoon, tablespoon,etc before I pay to have it tested again.

There is no possible way to guessitmate a pH adjustment. It is not like a TA adjustment. By the time you try and add some acid retest, add acid, retest, add acid, retest. You could have bout a pH meter. If you try and do this you also risk going over and then you have a whole new problem on your hands. Too low a pH.

I should say if you don't want to buy a pH meter you would be better off trying to hit a certain TA. That you can semi-reasonably calculate the addition. But even then you had better add 1/2 the calculated amount, retest, add 1/4, retest......

Its a slippery slope without equipment.

Thanks..Im just going to look into a temporary and inexpensive ph meter as I just bought the aio pump so im low on funds for another month or so.

Search google for suggestions on a ph tester. When google cites winetalk, read those. The Milwaukee 102 is a popular inexpensive tester. I bought one.

Thanks for the replies.. I paid lab to test wine yesterday using a ph meter since I dont own one yet and Im not sure as to how much to add? Teaspoon, tablespoon,etc before I pay to have it tested again.
How come that lab was not able to make suggestions?

Lab guy suggested adding tartaric acid..he said that he wasnt sure on specifics but that 3.5 grams of ta per gallon should decrease ph by 1%. I want to verify his formula before adding any ta to my wine. Thanks

Not pH, but TA.

3.8 grams Tartaric Acid per US Gallon raises TA by + 1 g/L (or .1%)

It will also usually lower the pH. But it is NOT linear or equivalent to TA.

Each wine's unique make-up will cause it to respond to the acid adjustment in a unique way when making additions to the pH and TA. Two different wines with the same exact pH and TA will respond differently to an equivalent acid addition. Yes, the numbers are important, but ultimately, they only give you an idea of the boundaries you're working in, not absolute answers. A good analogy for this is thinking about driving at night: Not testing your pH is like driving in the dark with your headlights off- you have no idea which direction you're going. Testing not only illuminates the road ahead, but it also lights up the reflectors and paint lines. You can see where you are going along with the boundaries that promote safe driving. Furthermore, since it is quite difficult to know how any must or wine will react to an acid addition, I cannot express enough that it is always best to add a portion of the amount you think you need, then taste and test to be sure. It is very easy to overdo things. With a patient and measured approach, you'll be saved from having to fix an over-correction.

Once you have tasted the partial addition, you can decide if the rest will be needed.

Thanks for the info! This is exactly why i posted to get some feedback instead of taking advice which didnt sound right to me. I live in wine country and im pretty sure the lab guy does not and has never made wine as he has a ton of business.

Without knowing your TA you shouldn't arbitrarily adjust your pH at that level. If you don't have the proper equipment, sulfite and save for a few months (assuming post fermentation). Buy equipment to take a TA and pH reading so you can have basic "vital signs" to work with.

I had a wine that was in the high 3's and I liked the flavor even with the high pH. I sulfited and bottled it. It's very good wine.

Latest posts

Back