Need Sympathy Trio Blanca GONE!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking at the culprit bottles which broke the carboy .... reaffirms my dislike of burgundy style bottles. Unlike bordeaux which stack like a dream, burgundy bottles just don't stack worth a darn.

A stack of two burgundy bottles is unstable ... not enough bottle to bottle contact ... as a result, we've moved to all bordeaux bottles.

I believe you could retrofit the rack. It looks like what you need is to make sure the bottles can't slide out the back first. Perhaps add a rod or whatever you used for the uprights in the middle of each space. Then raise the front of the bottles just enough they don't slide out, but not enough the corks dry out. I expect you could add a strip to the bottom of the bottom front cross-piece to raise the entire front, then mount the top rear to the wall, with the back bottom out from the wall a little. The whole rack leans back a little. Or, you could add a strip to the top edge of the top and bottom section cross-members, so that each stack of bottles is a little higher at the front. Again, gravity would be pushing the bottles toward the blockade at the back rather than out the openings in front. Does that make sense?

Also, if the carboy is so thin, is that a flaw, and will the manufacturer replace it for free? Couldn't hurt to ask.

Back