WineXpert Need some Help, Again! Green Apple

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNFISHRMAN

Reaction score
I bottle my Green Apple Reisling Kit on Thusday night. I went to turn the bottles on their side and noticed a thin layer of sediment in the bottom of all the bottles. Now, to let everyone know it was perfectly clear when bottling I let it set an extra 10 days to let make sure it properly cleared. Then I filtered into a perfectly clean and sanitized primary with a Spigot to bottle. All the bottles were clean and sulfited.

This may be where the problem is coming from. I let my wife taste the wine and she thought is was too dry. So since it was going to be setting for a while until we get it all drunk I decided to use Wine conditioner since it has Sorbate in it and a 1/4 tsp. of K-meta at bottling. Now I notice that every bottle has that thin layer of sediment in the bottom of them. Also, just for information sake. I had the same thing happen with my Blackberry that I did earlier in the Summer. What am I doing Wrong??????
smiley19.gif
How can I clean up this batch?

I am very particular with cleanliness and sanitation. I sulphite everything that enters my wine to make sure it is clean and sanitized. I thought that the seditment in the blackberry was from the Flavoring I used because it was black looking when I added and so was the sediment that I got out.

A wine can appear clear but still throw sediment. Did you try the flashlight test? (in a dark room shine flashlight through the wine from one side of the carboy to the other; if you can see the beam of light in the wine, that's particles that will settle out).

In general, I don't bottle until the wine has gone atleast a month without throwing sediment. I would suggest giving a few more weeks ( a month is best)after the last addition of anything and if you see sediment, rack and wait another month, etc until nothing drops.

The Island Mist kits (which I think the green apple riesling is one) tell you to add the f-pack before adding the finings so that any sediment from the sweetener will drop out.

You can either decant the wine before drinking or you could put it back into the carboy andstart back where you left off. Since this is an early drinker, I'd just decant it.

Edited by: Jackie

When you say "Then I filtered into a perfectly clean and sanitized primary with a Spigot to bottle. All the bottles were clean and sulfited."Did you filter it or just rack it?

"let my wife taste the wine and she thought is was too dry." Did you add the F-Pack included in the kit when you added the finings? If so this wine should not be dry at all...it is actually fairly sweet (~SG 1.010).

Adding the wine conditioner shouldn't cause any fines at all since it made to add right at bottling.

It is possible when racking in your primary youcarried over a small amount of lees and this is what you are seeing. I prefer to rack into an glass carboy so I can make sure the wine is perfectly clearwhen bottling.

My best guess is that since the fines have already settled out this would point to it being lees from racking. I have made roughly 25-30 of these types of kits and never had the wine throw sediment in the bottle.

Masta, I filtered with a Buno Vino filter pump with #2 filter pads. As far as my expression on the wine being dry, sorry. She didn't think it was sweet enough for her taste ( she likes really really sweet wine). I did add the F-pack when I was supposed to according to the instructions. Boy this has me really really stumped after reading your post. I followed the directions to a T with the exception being that I added 12 oz. of Wine conditioner and 1/4 tsp. of k-meta at bottling. I just do not understand how I could do the flashlight test and the wine be clear (totally, there was not anything floating), run through filter pump and filters, then get sediment in the bottle? I'm stumped

I finally got to bottle my Green Apple today. I opened all the bottles and dumped back into a Carboy. I let it set a day, then added a packet of Super Kleer KC to it. I let set for 13 days and it was clear with a flashlight. I filtered through the fine pads (.5 Micron). It is super clear and looks great I hope this is a chapter finished!

Latest posts

Back