Need help with ph tester

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olusteebus

Reaction score
I have a milwaukee 102. I have calibrated for todays test. I want to test three wines for ph. I will also test for acid.

The instructions tell me how to do it but I am confused about using it again on another wine. Do I somehow rinse the probes after each wine?

With what? I only have buffer solution.

I do not have any solution to store the ph probe in. I will try to save what little I have in the cap but what should I use today until I can get some soaking solution?

Since I am on the subject, I have researched and found only that to adjust the ph, I need to add tartaric acid. I would assume that will lower the ph while raising the ph. Is that correct?

I only have acid blend. Can I add that instead. I know if I want to lower the acid and I guess increase the ph, I add water or potassium carbonate (or something like that which I don't have)

Your help will be very much appreciated.

olusteebus said:
I have a milwaukee 102. I have calibrated for todays test. I want to test three wines for ph. I will also test for acid.

The instructions tell me how to do it but I am confused about using it again on another wine. Do I somehow rinse the probes after each wine?

With what? I only have buffer solution.

I do not have any solution to store the ph probe in. I will try to save what little I have in the cap but what should I use today until I can get some soaking solution?

Since I am on the subject, I have researched and found only that to adjust the ph, I need to add tartaric acid. I would assume that will lower the ph while raising the ph. Is that correct?

I only have acid blend. Can I add that instead. I know if I want to lower the acid and I guess increase the ph, I add water or potassium carbonate (or something like that which I don't have)

Your help will be very much appreciated.

I don't use a Ph meter, but I'll answer your other questions.

Acid blend has several acids, not really suitable for grape wines, use tartaric acid. ( I did use acid blend in a Sauv. Blanc one time.)

Adding acid will lower pH and raise TA.

If you need to lower acid, raise pH, add water or a suitable base. I would not make big adjustments with the base, it will affect flavor. If you can stick it outside or in a refrigerator, you can get some of the tartaric acid to precipitate out.

I rinse the probe with distilled water between wines. Also, if you are close on your target TA, go by taste.

I don't really have experience in tasting acid. I don't really know how to do a bench test either. I guess I will google it.

Distilled water to rinse the probe - i keep a lab bottle to rinse and a beaker with about an inch in the bottom - i place the probe in the beaker when not in use.

Potassium BiCarbonate will lower acid and raise PH.

I would use Tartaric Acid and not acid blend - as the blend contains malic acid - which i don't care for.

Back