Need help on finding filter setup

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seth8530

The Atomic Wine Maker
Reaction score
Hey all, after making my last batch of mead and putting it into the bottle I realized that it was not quite as clear as it should have been. For general purpose drinking it is no problem, but it would not pass the mustard in a competition. So I got curious and I started looking up filter units on morewine.

However, it seems like the filtering systems that they have either all come with a pump and filter system or that the filter block is of low quality. I already own a pump so I do not need an all inclusive setup.

Would any of yall have advice on any readily available yet fairly cheap filtering systems that do not come with a pump?

Thanks,
Seth

Hey all, after making my last batch of mead and putting it into the bottle I realized that it was not quite as clear as it should have been. For general purpose drinking it is no problem, but it would not pass the mustard in a competition. So I got curious and I started looking up filter units on morewine.

However, it seems like the filtering systems that they have either all come with a pump and filter system or that the filter block is of low quality. I already own a pump so I do not need an all inclusive setup.

Would any of yall have advice on any readily available yet fairly cheap filtering systems that do not come with a pump?

Thanks,
Seth

I use the whole house filtering system with my all-in-one wine pump and I am very pleased. So far I have only used it on fruit wines and ciders as I don't feel the need to filter my reds.

Picked up everything from here

They sell all the fittings you need including filters. They also sell a nice silicon carboy degassing stopper. I reorder filters from Filters Fast now. Much cheaper. You can also find the housing as well there.

Picked up everything from here

They sell all the fittings you need including filters. They also sell a nice silicon carboy degassing stopper. I reorder filters from Filters Fast now. Much cheaper. You can also find the housing as well there.

Did you have any problem with that model having the red air relief button? I have the pentak with such a button and it would suck in air. I had to remove it and replace it with a stainless screw and rubber washer.

I simply drilled a small hole through the top of the red relief button to make room for the screw and then tightened the screw from underneath all the way to seal it tight. Works great.

Last edited:
Did you have any problem with that model having the red air relief button? I have the Pentek with such a button and it would suck in air. I had to remove it and replace it with a stainless screw and rubber washer.

I also ordered one of the ones without the valve and its about 1/4" too short. Never could get the filter to seal properly. I marked my (original) case with a sharpie (without a filter in place) so I know where the dead stop is. When I put the filter in now I always know how far to tighten it with just a glance. Seems to work well for me. Sometimes I have to mess with the button valve a little but I can eventually always get it to seal. Perhaps I should do like you guys have done and just reverse it.

I use the superjet an love it. They also have the mini jet but never used it.....

I also ordered one of the ones without the valve and its about 1/4" too short. Never could get the filter to seal properly. I marked my (original) case with a sharpie (without a filter in place) so I know where the dead stop is. When I put the filter in now I always know how far to tighten it with just a glance. Seems to work well for me. Sometimes I have to mess with the button valve a little but I can eventually always get it to seal. Perhaps I should do like you guys have done and just reverse it.

does the filters properly seal now ?
if you look back on the thread I started about a year ago - talking about marking the housing and all - it was due to the wrong type of filters , mainly the ones with a solid core inside the element.

All the filers I have have the plastic insert down the middle. They seem to work OK with the housing that has the red valve (bypass) button but they were too tall to fit into the housing without the valve I ordered. Is there a better filter for this housing (from Filters Fast?)

All the filers I have have the plastic insert down the middle. They seem to work OK with the housing that has the red valve (bypass) button but they were too tall to fit into the housing without the valve I ordered. Is there a better filter for this housing (from Filters Fast?)

Yes please read the article I wrote on this exact subject

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f71/tips-tricks-using-whole-house-filter-37737/

some people - I believe reamed the inside of the filters that were solid in the middle in order to make them work - until they needed to order new ones

Thanks for all the advice, I ended up using my must pump to filter through a plate filter. To deal with the pressure being too high I setup a recirc line to drop the flow.

Yep indeed it is. Perhaps more expensive than one of your vacuum pump setups, but I originally purchased the pump as a must pump for pumping past grape skins and seeds. To me, buying the filter plate and plumbing was a $75 extra that I could pay if I wanted to be able to filter my wine.

I plan on making some modifications to the setup so that instead of having my recirc line go back into the carboy I will have it circulate back into the pump inlet line. This should help minimize oxygenation of the wine.

Yep indeed it is. Perhaps more expensive than one of your vacuum pump setups, but I originally purchased the pump as a must pump for pumping past grape skins and seeds. To me, buying the filter plate and plumbing was a $75 extra that I could pay if I wanted to be able to filter my wine.

I plan on making some modifications to the setup so that instead of having my recirc line go back into the carboy I will have it circulate back into the pump inlet line. This should help minimize oxygenation of the wine.

I figured away to use the vacuum pump to pump as a must pump for pumping past grape skins and seeds.

DSCN1026 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

Not bad then, it looks like we went different routes to handle similar problems. It would seem your setup might have an advantage when it comes to incorporating bottling when using the pump ( I would rather not run my pump dead headed). But perhaps mine might be a bit faster and more powerful at moving large amounts of must and wine in a hurry when needs be.

Yes Seth
There are many ways to get to the end task at hand. I just wanted you to be informed of all the possibilities of the All in one can do - thats all.
It is literally a start to finish winemaking tool for a fraction of the cost.

Latest posts

Back