Need help airlock stop bubbling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana355

Reaction score
We started a kit on June 29 and did all it said the so was 1.060 they say to wait until the 14th day to do anything should we be worried the kit is orchard breezing mist wine. Same the we started our own wild plum and wild blackberry we racked them yesterday

First step take a deep breath and relax. Probably things are just fine. Bubbles in the airlock don't mean much of anything. That gas may be escaping somewhere else. Take the lid off, sanitize your hydrometer and take a reading today. If it is lower fermentation is happening. While you have that lid off, sanitize your long spoon and give it a really good stir.

Then put the lid back on snap out down and replace the airlock. That's what the directions two you to do. Many folks here will say just cover it with anything. Either is fine and works great.

We started a kit on June 29 and did all it said the so was 1.060 they say to wait until the 14th day to do anything should we be worried the kit is orchard breezing mist wine. Same the we started our own wild plum and wild blackberry we racked them yesterday

I've done several orchard breezing mist wine.

What airlock? You are supposed to start primary fermentation in a pail with lots of head space - no airlock - loose lid or towel covering.Bubbling means very vigorous and if that probably shoudl still be in the primary not carboy.

I fortify my mists to 12 percent using sugar.

I don't wait 14 days in a big open primary - it usually ferments dry by day 7 (.995 or less) and then I transfer to carboy. After that just a few trickles of gas if any.

In a warm place the wine will continue to degas even though it has fermented - it's just CO2 being driven out. by the heat.

Thanks we put it on I took the picture before he got it on

Better Bottle! - that's what I've got. Also got a 5 gallon food grade water bottle from one of the supermarkets - it was very hard to find - had to check the codes on the bottom of the jugs and, lo and behold - it was same code as on the better bottle.
But even that five gallon line is not mainstream at that supermarket (Superstore) I've only seen it there once in a blue moon. It was the only supermarket that had food grade bottles there is a code list that can be checked - All the supermarkets are mostly using the 'bad' ones.

Last Friday I put my Blackberry Blast orchard Breeze mist in a 6 gallon (SG .992) - I put 20 percent of the F-pack in the primary sugared it up to 1.088 SG potential 12.64 ABV after ferment and about 12 percent after addition of sugar pack.
You can't use the SG after F-Pack to get the final ABV, SG is only valid for fermenting the same type of liquid - back-sweetening is not fermentation so the SG becomes invalid (I have tested this) so for backsweetening or adding F-Pack you have to use a simple math formula:
(Volume before F-Pack - in ml is easiest) divide by (Volume after F-Pack) times (ABV that was arrived at after fermentation) (before F-Pack added)
= final ABV.

Previously on Rocking Raspberry I used full F-Pack and a few people thought it too sweet but I didn't care . Out of experimentation and just to keep everyone happy , I used 40 percent of F-pack on Niagara Mist Black Cherry and thought it should have had more of the F-pack - it needs the sweet to bring the flavour out. . So now I tried 20 percent of the F-pack = 280-290 ml out of 14000 ml F-Pack. (1.4 l).
I'll see how that turns out.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back