WineXpert Need advice on SG readings

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nursejohn

Reaction score
I need some advice on my Sg readings. I currently have 2 batches of WE Vintners Reserve White Zinfandel in the primary buckets. Today is day 7 and the instructions say to rack when the SG is 1.010 or lower. My readings are 1.018 and 1.020. My temp is 67 degrees. I know my temp is a little low and I think that is why the SG hasn't got to where it needs to be. I need someone to tell me if my thinking is correct and if I wait a few more days, will the SG get to where it needs to be? I appreciate any advice, John.

Yes, your temperature is a little low so I would wait awhile. Keep checking the SG and rack when it gets to 1.010. Remember, the instructions are only guide lines.

I would get the temps up if you can or this might stall early on you.

+2 A heating pad works pretty good if you do noe have a brew belt

nursejohn:

As everybody else has said, get the temps up. This is also important once the wine is in a carboy because it will encourage the fermentation to finish, and really important when you get to the degassing stage.

Steve

Update: the SG fell below 1.010 after the temp came up some, so I racked both buckets to carboys last night. Thanks for the help, John.

one of the simplest ways to up the temperature is get the fermenter off the floor...it is amazing what a little elevation will do because there is an osmosis like transfer of heat or lack of heat....we forget that the bottom of the tank or carboy accounts for a big portion of square footage that the wine will absorb temperature from

( now discount everything i said IF you have radiant floor heating ) :)

Oh, radiant floor heating would be awesome right now... (wishful sigh)... The projected high today is 19' :-(

Brewgrrrl said:
Oh, radiant floor heating would be awesome right now... (wishful sigh)... The projected high today is 19' :-(

67 for us and I think that is a bit on the cool side!

I got the December-January issue of Wine Maker magazine yesterday. In it is an article about fermenting kit wines. The article points out that temperature control is the second most frequent mistake made by wine makers. (The first being failing to read the instructions.) The article notes that must at 75 degrees is recommended for pitching yeast and maintaining that temperature throughout fermentation and degassing. By maintaining this temperature, it insures complete fermentation, clearing, and degassing.

all spot on Admiral......let me share a short story.....we got approval to pitch yeast a week and a half ago....me NOT wanting to set the heat in the new building left the room in the 60's....pitched the yeast...four days later nothing...then a near seventy degree day hit us.....the fermentation took of like clockwork.....needless to say, i keep the heat on now...after primary and secondary are done...i will lower to the low 60's and keep it there....since i have a longer time frame than what normally is called for in a kit

i have the A/C ready for the spring and summer

i would add that proper airspace in an aging tank are likely the third mistake...and attentiveness to cleanlieness the fourth (?)

Personally I think failure to degas fully is probably very high on the list.

Drinking too early is also a common mistake. Although maybe that's technically not a mistake, as the wine is just fine.

Steve

My buckets do sit on the floor with a towel underneath them. Thanks for the tip. I will put them up on something from now on when it is cold.

Nurse John.....up on a table is best as heat rises

CP...i have never had that issue if i have aged properly and when i restarted making wine i did make that mistake... i have had wine that was not degassed...and there is not many things worse than that...

as for drinking too early, i think you are right on that as well.....one of the biggest gifts we can give ourselves regarding our own personal wine journey is to wait on some bottles....leave some for 1 yr...2, 3, 4 and 5-10

so should we come up w a top ten mistake list?

In the same issue of Wine Makers was a piece about airspace. There was a discussion about using CO2 or Argon in the airspace. It was felt that it was better to use the correct size aging vessel and/or top up rather than use gases. The feeling was that over time gases disperse and can be undependable. An aging vessel, properly topped up is more secure.

As far as the top ten list, I think that would be a useful list.

Admirable - i agree....use the correct size container if at all possible...find a way.......i just started using argon by chance however because i got a good deal on a cylinder w the regulator and gun or nozzle ( whatever term you prefer), i think to fill the cylinder w taxes included it was 41 dollars......argon is a very stable gas and my use of it is too new to really comment on...since i will be dealing in varying and unpredictable grape quantities i am glad to have it on hand as a tool in a *just in case* situation...right now I have two wines w argon on it

Back