Need advice on How to handle late vines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

efBobby

Reaction score
One of my neighbors had some vines he was going to destroy so I offered to remove them/save them.

I planted them in April but they didn't do anything. I assumed they might try again next year but a few days ago I see they have both started to put out new growth.

One is an aestivalis or perhaps a aestivalis variant and the other a labrusca. Being they are trying to recover should I try to build a mini cold frame for them so the frost doesn't kill the growth?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
the reason you have not seen growth before now is because the grapes were establishing roots. I would fertilize with a cup of 10-10-10 fertilizer. there is noway you will be able to protect this growth.they will make new growth next spring.

Ok thanks and already done the fert. I use 15-15-15 max sea

So best approach would be to wait a bit and cut the growth to propagate?

Really relieved they ok. Took very much effort to remove them especially the aestivalis. It had 2 15 foot legs on it, ugh!

Lastly, do you think the vine Is still alive? It's weird to me they sent up basils instead of activating nodes. They both seem to still have their reddish tint to them vs the grayish color when it is dead.

since they have been establishing roots I would not be to concerned with above ground appearances. growth next year will be form these roots rather than the canes. if you wish to check prune a little off of the cane if green cane is viable if not it is dead. no concern as the roots are valued commodity now.

Back