Need advice here - banana sherry not working out as planned

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dend78

Reaction score
okay base story, lots of bananas sugar nutrient and all of that good stuff

sg 1.150
EC-1118

this stalled out at 1.060 still plenty of sugar and roughly sitting at 12% right now, EC-1118 is good up to 18% and WLP700 is good to 16% so im looking for something like 1.030ish

i then racked this off the gross lee's and pitched in my wlp700 (sheery flor yeast)

i have nothing happening no secondary fermentation action at all that i can tell. i haven't pulled a sample yet to see gravity but no bubbles, no noise and nothing on top of the wine like i figured there would be from the flor yeast. any suggestions or ideas on this one?

Last edited:
I have never tried to do a high alcohol wine. Most folks here say to get the higher alcohols you have to step feed it instead of putting all the sugar in at once. You probably havn't killed the yeast, but it sounds like it is stunted pretty bad. Mite try stirring some oxygen in, warm it up a little maybe some yeast energizer. Just guesses. Arne.

I will give the energizer a shot, i stirred it last night, from there i will also try heating it up a bit

From some quick reading about that particular yeast, it says its a slow fermenter... And im pretty sure they mean it..

I would heat it up to 70-72F but i wouldnt go much higher than that.. You want it to ferment,but you want it to take its time.

Also says that the yeast will create a film on the surface of the wine, which is what makes it a "Flor yeast" - so keep in mind you're literally dealing with a "Different Animal" here and its not your typical yeast.

Bottom line, something like this, dont trust anything but your hydrometer. And maybe look around for some purchasable patience :)

And maybe look around for some purchasable patience :)

they have that? :se

yeah i know this stuff is supposed to take time but wow, like im lookin for somethin like i dont even know i see anything forming on top acutally its clearing out quite nicely lol

Latest posts

Back