Ideas? Black Currant stalled out SG 1.056

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker
Reaction score
This was supposed to be another batch of dessert wine with an ABV between 13-15% *
Black Currant wine (Vintner's Harvest) 3 gallon batch from 96 oz wine base.

Starting SG 1.102 (Achieved with Simple Syrup 2:1)
EC-1118 Yeast
Yeast Nutrient added well before pitching yeast.
pH 3.49
Usual starter mix of 2 oz warm water, 1 oz Juice, 1/16 tsp yeast nutrient full packet of yeast

Nothing out of the norm for this temps were in the mid-lower 70s.
It started out normally with good layer of thick foam then that faded by about day 4. SG dropped normally until about that time and at day 4 it was 1.068.
Added a little more yeast nutrient and Fermaid K (sp?) 1/8 tsp
Since then the rate of drop is has been about .001 per day if that.

Leaving for two weeks in about 1 week - so I racked it to a carboy and a 1.5 l jug with some headspace...just in case.
After 3 days of very slow airlock activity I topped up the 3 gallon carboy to just below the neck and put the remainer of the 'extra' into a 16 oz glass with an airlock
Added another 1/4 tsp of yeast nutrient when I topped off and some foam appeared and remains but since that the SG has dropped only .001 in three days.

Out of ideas. Figure it's safe in a carboy when I leave but I'd like to see it moving a little more before then - about 5 days out from leaving.
Only options I see if it quits completely now are:
1) Another batch (step feed) to completely dry with at least 12% ABV
2) By some everclear to raise the ABV to at least 9% but then it will still be WAY to sweet.
3) Find another dry wine I can add to reduce the sweetness but not lose the character of a Tart Black Currant.

As the title says... Ideas?

* (Yes, next time Step feeding will be the method. This is my third batch and I should have learned from the first two that both stopped a short of 1.000 (1.004 & 1.010) Those were fine because that left enough residual sweetness that I didn't need to back sweeten much at all.)

Last edited:
Well...on the road now. Checked the wine and it's down to 1.039 slow slow slow. So since this is wine from juice with no pulp and still slowly fermenting I decided to let it keep going. It's in a carboy with an airlock and bouncing the airlock about every 9 second. Wait and see time.

Latest posts

Back