NANKING CHERRY WINE

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
Started a batch of Nanking Cherry wine yesteday...think this is going to be a good one...the must tasted like sweet cherry juice.....yumm!!!

NankingCherrySmall.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~NANKING CHERRY WINE~~~~~~~~~~
12 1/2 QUARTS STEAM EXTRACTED JUICE [24 POUNDS OF FRUIT]
2 500 mil BOTTLES WINEXPERT RED GRAPE CONCENTRATE
6 1/2 CAMPDEN TABLETS
8 tsp ACID BLEND
4 tsp LIQUID TANNIN
9# SUGAR
2 oz LIGHTLY TOASTED OAK

WATER TO 6 1/2 - 7 GALLONS S.G. 1.086

TODAY:
3 tsp PECTIC ENZYME
6 tsp YEAST NUTRIENT
3 tsp YEAST ENERGIZER
2 pk RED STAR PASTEUR RED YEAST

Didn't put any vanilla beans in this batch...want to taste those cherries....Now only time will tell the story.

cherrysSmall.jpg

Think I will be planting more of these bushes next spring.Edited by: Northern Winos

Those are beauties and I wish i could taste that one. UMMMMMMMMMMM!
23_3_65.gif

That one looks great NW. I like the way the must looks so dark as compared to those nice bright red berries.

I toasted the oak very lightly...debated about even adding any to this wine....want to see how it tastes on it's own.

Northern, That looks soooo good. I wish we had cherry trees and bushes down here. Question on Oaking, is oak used only in dry wines?

Oak is usually used in dry red wines and some white wines, such as Chardonnay. However, the beauty of this hobby is that you, as the winemaker, have freedom to experiment. I have used oak in Concord, which I back sweetened. Compared to an unoaked version, it was more complex and better tasting. If you like oak, experiment. I think that Cherry wine would be very amenable to oak. Nice looking wine, Northern! I too wish I had access to fresh cherries. I only have store bought available here in Texas.Edited by: dfwwino

This one took a little longer to get started, like 24 hours....Maybe the yeast...maybe a cherry thing...But it's going fine now...

24 hours...
Picture002WinCE.jpg

48 hours...
36WinCE.jpg

Boy...is this a slow batch to ferment.....Usually within a week I can rack with a low S.G....tasted this wine today and it was like cherry soda pop....still at 1.050...

What's the deal...Is it theyeast or a cherry thing????

I don't have much experience with Red Star Pasteur Red Yeast...what's your experiences with this yeast????

I have used this yeast a couple of times and got about the same results as ec-1118 with a good fast ferment. In your case, it could be anything, but I wouldn't worry about it. I prefer a slow ferment, it seems to preserve more of the delicate flavors of the fruit.

I wonder how much barometric pressure changes effect yeast production? With fall settling in your area, I would imagine you get some pretty good swings.

I usually get a pretty fast ferment with that yeast to but also second what jobe said. Right now is the perfect time to make wine in my house as the temps are 69-71* in my wine making room.

Our house is probly the coolest it gets all year.....It seems we have 80*+ days and them 40*s at night...so not hot enough for the AC and not cool enough for heat....Some days it won't get to 70....then it rains every 3 days...not enough to get wet...just enough to slow down harvest....then another high presure comes and goes....so there is a big swing in temps and pressure.

The ferment is going strong, lots of bubbling...just not dropping the S.G. as fast as usual.....It was a slow starter...so probably didn't get rolling till last Thurs...and today is Tues....Maybe I'll move it next to the fridge...lots of warm air comes out from under and beside it...I'll do that now.

Thanks guys!!!
smiley17.gif

This is fermenting really nice, but it always did once it started....I put the primary beside the fridge were there is a constant supply of free warm air....also turned the electric on in the dinning room...so it's pretty cozy and bubbling away.

fermday6Small.jpg

I used more than required fruit juice in this one...so maybe it's just a little thick and needs more time.Edited by: Northern Winos

Racked into a carboy today...S.G. as finally down to 1.022....lost it's sweet cherry soda pop taste and think it's going to be nice.

Very nice dark color, I can almost smell that from here.

Looks like your still getting a lot of foaming, must be working good but something is in there hindering it. Or, that yeast just likes you and wants to give you that extra good tasting batch......... Once in a while we get the yeast on our side.

Meanwhile...back at the ranch.....

She is still fermenting....
nanchSmall.jpg

daySmall.jpg

S.G. is down to 1.012...getting a pretty cherry color....
cherrySmall.jpg

Sept. 24: S.G. 1.085
Sept. 25: Pitch yeast [Red Star Pasteur Red]
Oct. 2: S.G. 1.050
Oct. 7: S.G. 1.022 [Rack]
Oct. 13: S.G. 1.012

It's a slow process, but think it will be a good one.

Back