My wine/brewing space

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laneygirl

Reaction score
I finally figured out how to post pictures and so thought I'd show what my space looks like:
20071111_192556_Picture_378_Med.jpg

The one on left is CC Temparnillo - Cabernet in clarification/stabilization stage.The one on right is CC Two Latitudes Merlot is in secondary fermenation stages that I transferred yesterday. I keep brew belts on both to keep at warm enough temperature for primary, secondary and clarification/stabilization. Only after transferring for bulk aging can I take them off during the late fall/winter time.

20071111_194520_Picture_380_Med.jpg

This is the sink area (which needs to be cleaned out) where I do a lot of cleaning, rinsing, etc. It's been great to have in that area. Those are empty 5 gallon car boys that I use as secondary fermenters when I make beer batches, which are typically 5 gallons.

20071111_194933_Picture_381_Med.jpg

This is the rack area where I am trying to accumulate enough so that I can let them age the prescribed 6 months+. I just bottled WE Grenache Mourvedre yesterday and so am letting it sit up right for the prescribed three days before labeling, shrink wrapping and putting on the rack.

Edited by: laneygirl

I want to post a picture of what the CC Temp - Cab looks like at this point of clarification/stabilization to see if it needs more degassing, but before I do that step am wondering if I need to add more K-meta (1/4 tsp for 6 gallons). That was George's suggestion on the WE Australian Grenache Mourvedre that I just bottled after bulk aging for 7 weeks

I did do some degassing in the first couple days around adding stabilizing and clariifcation packets that came with the kit.I want to be sure it's been degassed sufficiently so when it comes time to transfer for bulk aging can know it's good to go.

Since my basement is so cold, I have to keep a brew belt on just to keep it at 68 F and based on another post from Wake know that it's better to degas at higher temps (70+).

I just want to be sure that I get the details around degassing down. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Looks great laney, after degassing you can take off the brew belts as wine actually clears better at cooler temps. Now all we need is a pic of you!

If you plan on bulk aging 3 months or longer you can add the 1/4 tsp k-meta now or at bottling time, if you plan on bulking longer you can add it now or 3 months from now.

Hi Wade,

I found a picture of just me from last fall when I was teaching a friend of mine how to brew beer. So, here you go.....my garage is a little messy. My dad would not be too proud
smiley13.gif

20071111_210149_IMG_0078_Medium.jpg

wade said:
If you plan on bulk aging 3 months or longer you can add the 1/4 tsp k-meta now or at bottling time, if you plan on bulking longer you can add it now or 3 months from now.

So, it's not necessary to add the k-meta at each degassing step using fizz-x stirred and vacuvin. It sounds like if I santize the fizz-x prior to stirring again, it will be OK??

I'll do that tomorrow night and take a shot of what it looks like so I can get some guidance on whether to continue degassing or just let it go until the prescribed period of time to let it clarify/stabilize.

Thanks, Wade.
smiley1.gif

Great area for your wine/beer making laney. I really like your racks too. Did you build them yourself?

Give that wine the old "skake it and see if it still fizzes" in a small bottle test. It's a pretty effective test for determining if yoor wine is still gassy

The racks are made by Vinland and cost less than $100 for holding 120 bottles. I assembled them, which was pretty easy with the instructions they provide. My walls are concrete, which made for some hard drilling, but Ifastened them to the wall using L-brackets and those things that expand when screwed into (leaded version).
I like that "shake and see if it fizzles" test. I just want to be sure that I can proceed to that step with some assurance it won't fizzle based on what it looks like when I use the Fizz-X stirrer and vacuvin technique. I'll paste another pic in here tonight to see what you think.

Great pic laney and your father would be proud as long as you clean up after your done working!
smiley4.gif
You dont want to add k-meta ever time or your wine will be over sulfited. You just want to add the k-meta they gave you with the kit plus an xtra 1/4 tsp before bottling to allow xtra storage time.

Wade,

I have my Mezza Luna in the stabilizing/clearing stage. I have been reading the thread with Laneygirl. Would I need to add k-meta also before bottling? uavwmn

If you plan on aging more than a year then yes. If you plan on drinking them within a year then no.

laneygirl,

First of all I don't know if your name is Lane. My daughter is Lain and I call her Laineygirl sometimes....great name. Love your pictures of your space and did I see an old double washtub, that is converted for surface area?

Ramona

Hi Romana,

Thanks for asking...actually, it's Elaine and some friends have just shortened it to Laneygirl and I liked it as a handle.

You are very observant on the old/"antique" washtub. I bought this house about 12 years ago from the daughter of a woman who had passed away and they left me allkinds of treasures...and I have converted it to surface area. It works great to hold carboys to rack from and bottles when bottling, etc.

I am pondering replace the sink and maybe that with some sort of stainless sink/counter area that I think would be easier to clean, etc....but have to trade off those $$ with more wine kits and that makes it a tough decision.
smiley29.gif

20071113_211105_Picture_003_Med.jpg

Here's what my CC Cab Temp after using Fizz-Z stirrer for a few rounds of 20 seconds (or so). This isn't the first time I've done this and so maybe I'm far enough along...but wait there's more
smiley3.gif

20071113_211356_Picture_004_Med.jpg

Then I put on the universal carboy cap with vacuvin attachment and you can see I'm still getting some bubbles....so does that mean I should try degassing again? or...there's one more that made me wonder:

20071113_211552_Picture_005_Med.jpg

It's hard to see in this but the bubbles are still coming up the side, but the bubbles at top seem different than when I did this the first time.

Any advise??...keep degassing or let it be until I transfer to bulk aging?

I've tried the vacu-u-vin on one wine a week or so ago and got a few bubblesand tried it now on2 morecarboys....I didn't get anything on the two ...and, when I release the vac-u-vine the level of the wine goes down....I assume there is no gas. These are just fruit wines and the wines have been sitting finished for a couple months now...guess it's time to bottle.

It's interesting to see all those bubbles...I will try it again on a younger wine when I get some going.Edited by: Northern Winos

I think you may still have a little gas iin there laney. The foaminess is what rouses my suspicion. Wade is right about the bigger bubbles being an indicator but they should be somewhat bigger and pretty much clear without any foaming when you pump the vacuvin. Jusy my 2 cents !!

Waldo, I appreciate your view and will probably give this your recommended "shake and see if it fizzes" test after I get back from Thanksgiving vacation. Based on that, I'll degas more or move to bulk aging. You guys really are a great help and I appreciate it a lot!

Laney,

What is your opinion of the wineracks you have? Finish, stability, durability etc?
smiley20.gif
or
smiley21.gif
Do you think when full they will need to be attached to a supporting wall?

Thanks, Jeff

Latest posts

Back