My small vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuaneLovett

Junior
Reaction score
Well I need some prayers and a whole lot of luck. I just finished planting my small vineyard. I planted 12 vines and I have plans to expand to 20 next year. I planted 10 Chambourcin vines, 1 Marquette vine and 1 Arandell vine. If any one has any pointers or good beginner advice I am sure willing to listen.
Thanks,
Duane

some advice: get the post and wire up as asap to save you from offsetting the wire and post like I have to do. And your gonna want more of the Marquette. I'm not familiar with the other two. I'm kicking myself in the butt for only planting 4! did you place a bamboo pole next to them they really help get them off to a good start!! I'm still learning the vineyard process myself but these things I know.. and also I used a lil compost from my bin and put some straw around them it helps to keep the weeds down and the moisture in since your starting small like me

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. Yes I used bamboo stakes and the blue plastic grow tubes. One question that I do have is watering , how often or how much. Thanks again

Water them in well and then let them be. If it gets really dry during the summer you may want to water. You just don't want them stressed. But you do want to encourage the roots to grow deep.

First year I would not worry too much about the vines. Let them grow as much as possible. It's important to develop good roots this year. Next year you will select 1 or 2 good trunks or, as I did, prune them back and grow new trunks the second year.

Just remember, it's hard to kill them, so relax and watch them grow!

I'll second the Marquette. I can't grow arandell but I've heard pretty good things about it. You'll want more of both probably.

Did you soak the roots before planting? You want to keep them well watered the first year make sure they get enough water to keep the soil moist that's where the straw helps a lot. And water them in the evening gives it time to soak down to the roots instead of evaporating when the sun is out. Never water anything when the sun is beating down!Make sure they get a drink at least 3 times a week if it rains you don't need
to bother that day or the next more if its a hot week ya don't need to worry about fertilizer the first year just make sure their watered because the first year you're building up the root system I just used a lil compost to amend the soil on the parameter of the hole just use your common sense about watering if your thirsty their probably thirsty it's hard to tell ya just how much to water them don't know the weather fi: if there is a drought, don't know what soil type you have, don't know if you loosened the soil around the plants, if you knew to soak them in water before you planted them, there is hundreds of reasons they could die off or flourish but just keep an eye on them the first year and I wish you luck in your adventures and there is nothing more rewarding then making a good wine from the fruit you grew yourself!

Best of luck! Weather is totally different here, but I do water mine about three times a week. I added a good layer of compost and mulch to mine as well to protect them from the summer heat!

Latest posts

Back