Cellar Craft My Red Mountain Cab is a little sweet?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I decided to taste my CC Showcase Red Mountain Cab (to make sure I don't overoak it). It seems quite a bit sweeter than I was expecting. I'm soliciting comments and suggestions.

The starting SG measured 1.098 at its peak. (Could have been a bit higher due to slow release of sugars from grape pack.) I used RC-212 yeast, with proper nutrition, and the fermentation proceeded well. Yeast was pitched on 10/29/2013; moved to secondary on 11/5/2013 at SG=1.001. Let it chug there at about 70 F for 22 days (i.e., until 11/26), at which point the SG was 0.995. At this time, I racked, degassed, cleared, and added k-meta and oak cubes (but not sorbate). I racked again (off the cleared sediment) on 12/14/2013 for continued bulk aging.

Sooo, I am wondering if I should be concerned, or if there is something I can do. I would describe the wine as dry, but edging towards medium dry. I realize 0.995 is not super low (my other wines have finished 0.990 to 0.993), but didn't expect to perceive sweetness at this level.

Clearly, the wine is only a month or so into aging, so I won't do anything for the time being. But do I have any options? One idea is to bench-test some acid additions. (Can you do that to a kit?) Alternately, I could add some tannins. (I have Tannin Complex and Tannin Riche; the latter is said to impart a perception of sweetness, so I guess that is not a good choice!) :?

The time method is always a good choice. If after a good aging it is still to sweet for your liking blend it with a extra dry wine.

I've found a lot of kit wines taste sweet when babies. Especially cabs. Definitely wait it out.>995 isn't really sweet, it should mellow. I would age to at least 6 months before re-tasting

I agree with the others. Most kits - and for some reason, this seems more so with cellar craft - are very sweet/fruit forward early on (at least to my taste). Time definitely dries them out and lets the tannins shine a bit more. Yours is definitely young. Mine hit 13 months today - 7 in the bottle. I may have to crack one tonight and let you know my thoughts. :dg

If you still have this in a carboy, consider drawing a couple ounces and letting it sit in a glass for a few hours. Then try it and see if the sweetness has fallen back.

Okay, thank you all. I have accepted that time heals many wounds, but didn't imagine it would change the sweetness! I will hurry up and wait.

Jim, I appreciate your willingness to throw yourself on the grenade for me! ;)

If you still have this in a carboy, consider drawing a couple ounces and letting it sit in a glass for a few hours. Then try it and see if the sweetness has fallen back.

And I believe this is a test I can force myself to conduct!

I had this with a Malbec that finished at .994, with time it got better, but at the beginning a bit of extra acid made all the difference.

Many people perceive fruitiness and the presence of glycerols in the wine to taste sweet. This often diminishes as it ages.

Last edited:
Agree with the others, I wouldn't even try one until 1 year mark in October, well maybe just one . Otherwise by the time it is ready to drink it will be all gone, (don't ask how I know that)!

You really need to sit before making any judgements. It's young, and things will definitely change. I wouldn't worry about the perception of sweetness.

Thanks for the additional input, folks. I am tempted to add a bit of tannin anyway, as I think it could use it. Maybe I will add some on the low side of the recommended dosages.

Waiting won't be a problem for me. However, I am intending to bottle this in about 6 weeks, and then age in the bottle. (I am trying to balance bulk aging time vs. throughput on a limited number of carboys.) So, if I keep to that schedule, I don't get a lot of chances to amend this wine.

By the way, the wine is GOOD right now. Very tasty, with good mouthfeel, and already smooth. I could happily drink it as is, and I am sure it will only get better!

Thanks,

Jim, I appreciate your willingness to throw yourself on the grenade for me! ;)

I am willing to take this one for the sake of the team, but you owe me. ;)

I am sipping mine now. I poured it through my Vinturi, then let it sit for about 30 minutes. It is definitely not sweet. Quite dry actually, with fairly strong tannins. I did add Tancor Grand Cru a few weeks prior to bottling. It also had time in the Vadai. It is definitely going to be very good (and is quite nice now), but I'm going to try and give it 6 more months until the next bottle. Well, OK, three months. :D It is definitely commercial quality.

Thanks for the additional input, folks. I am tempted to add a bit of tannin anyway, as I think it could use it. Maybe I will add some on the low side of the recommended dosages.

Waiting won't be a problem for me. However, I am intending to bottle this in about 6 weeks, and then age in the bottle. (I am trying to balance bulk aging time vs. throughput on a limited number of carboys.) So, if I keep to that schedule, I don't get a lot of chances to amend this wine.

By the way, the wine is GOOD right now. Very tasty, with good mouthfeel, and already smooth. I could happily drink it as is, and I am sure it will only get better!

Thanks,
OK I'm am just going to say it BUY MORE CARBOYS before the pricew goes up. You know you want to anyway :)

Latest posts

Back