Other My Quick/Early Review of 3 kits - will update over time

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pioneergirl

Reaction score
I wanted to give you all my very subjective review of the 3 kits I have bottled as a beginner winemaker.

1)Cellar Craft Grand Cru Merlot ($89)- Bottled 3/28/12.
Update 5/31/12- Deviations: used more oak. Opened after 2 wks and was horrible and put that to bottle shock. Opened another bottle or 3 last week of May, 2012: I did not get all the gas out as it was a little effervescent which made the aroma punget. Swirling the glass solved this though to get the gas out. color is great, crisp, ruby. Taste is very good, but still a young taste. It is a very drinkable wine although a little thin or watery - meaning it does not have a lot of body to it or richness. Definitely better than Black Box. Would I make this one again? No. I think I am not a merlot girl. But I will Update again after a little aging.

2) Williams Brewing Zinfandel Kit ($70 juice/yeast only) - Bottled beginning of May, 2012.
Update 5/31/12 - Deviations: Used dif. yeast, oaked, added raisins. Opened a couple of bottles end of May. To me, this tastes o.k. and not great and hardly "good" at this point. I put raisins in this one. I can't even describe why it's not "good" to me yet, but I am wondering if it's the raisins. It does have more body to it, but I think I need to give it more time. Color is good though. Yes it is better than Black Box even a few weeks after bottling- I am just being snobby. Would I do this kit again? Today, No - but I think I need to give time. Will update later.

3) Wine Experts Cabernet Sav ($99) - Started in March '12 and Bottled 1st week or so of May, 2012 (wow great notes carolyn!). Deviations: Used Dif yeast. french oak. Opened many bottles over the last couple of weeks. Great taste! Out of the 3 I've done the best "early" drinker is this one. Great mouth feel, smooth with nice body, tastes and color. I'd do this one again in a heartbeat. I've gifted many away to teachers for teaching my boys and have drank enough to go through 1 case of it already - only 1 case left.
Compare it to a $12-14 commercial bottle here in Idaho (actually it's better and on par with some $22-$28 bottles I've had at local wineries)- pretty much after being bottled. I will try to save some to update over a later time.

Thanks for the interesting post. One question, though on #3. On kit wines I haven't considered varying the yeast supplied with the kit. What made you change it and what did you change it to? For example, did you opt for liquid?
Tony P.

Hey, thanks for the results. Glad you included the answer to whether you would buy again.

Carolyn:

Thank you for your comments. I have a couple of problems with your notes though.

• Cellar Craft is a Vineco company. Grand Cru is a Spagnols brand. Never the two shall meet (until Constellation sells Spagnols to Peller). What kit was this?
  • Winexpert makes several Cab Sauvs. Which one was it?
  • What yeast substitutions did you make?
Thanks, Steve

Carolyn:

Thank you for your comments. I have a couple of problems with your notes though.

• Cellar Craft is a Vineco company. Grand Cru is a Spagnols brand. Never the two shall meet (until Constellation sells Spagnols to Peller). What kit was this?
  • Winexpert makes several Cab Sauvs. Which one was it?
  • What yeast substitutions did you make?
Thanks, Steve
LOL - at myself for my rattling things off the top of my head! I went and scrounged the original "instructions'....
@Tony - the reason I changed things from the kit packages is due to my personality. I like food and drink, and I especially feel the need to make pre-packaged better. My husband bought me a home winemaking book that is very thorough (but not overkill) in explaining how the different yeast strains bring out different qualities in varietal wines. And from the forum here, I gather that the wine kit producers put in the most "fail safe" yeast - which makes sense; they want to make sure your yeast will ferment out in broad temperature ranges. The grand cru merlot, I used the included yeast packet and I have convinced myself that this has contributed to the lackluster flavor (and I didn't degass all the way and I know that it was a "basic" kit too!).

RJ Spagnols Grand Cru Merlot - Instruction sheet says "Grand Cru - Heritage Estates - Vino Del Vida" and bottom - yes - says RJ Spagnols. The only variations I made to this one was changed the oak and used french oak and I used 1/2 c. at primary and again at secondary.

Wine Expert Cab Sav. - Wine Expert - the sheet says both "Selection Orignial Series " and "Selection International". I bought this one from Doug - vendor from this site - I believe though - it was a "Selection International" for $99. Yeast used was Pastuer Red. I added 1/2 c. oak at primary and then added the sawdust packet enclosed again after adding fining agents and let bulk age briefly.

Red Zinfandel - Williams Brewing - Used Yeast R212 and added yeast nutrient per book recommendation. Added coarsly chopped, raisins during primary ferm. (my notes on this are bad). I show that I added 1/2 c. french oak chips after 1st racking (which now it's coming back to me). Again added 3/4 c. oak at next racking and left to bulk age for a month.
**TASTING UPDATE** - last night had inlaws visiting so I decided to have a tasting party (not really) - but I opened up a 2010 Gnarly Head Authentic Red (which is a blend) and I opened up this 2011 Zin. to compare which most of us prefered --- and we all agreed that my Zin was much smoother and had a much better taste. Yes, I know that they are completely different wines.....But, that Gnarly Head bottle sells here reg. price approx $10/bottle and I really have to say that even it is was the Gnarly Head Zin - mine would have tasted better. Promising! I may have to change my vote on purchasing again in the future over time...

NEW WINE IN PRIMARY
Since my post on this topic, I had since started a MERLOT/CAB. BLEND of some juice concentrates purchased from Williams Brewing. This time we are trying their merlot and cab - juice concentrates. In primary fermentation right now is 12 Gallons: 75% Merlot and 25% Cab - not going to add raisins this time. Added 1 1/2 french oak chips. Made a starter with Pastuer Red yeast with nutrient. Doing well so far - been 3 days.

Last edited:
Carolyn:

Most kits come with EC-1118 yeast. I think all Spagnols kits, most Vineco kits, and possibly all Cellar Craft kits. (I don't have much experience with Cellar Craft.) OTOH, Winexpert uses a wide variety of different yeasts. Personally, I would be less likely to change the yeast that comes with a Winexpert kit than the other brands because I believe that they do more testing of different yeasts.

Steve

The RJS Grand Cru Merlot was the first wine I ever made. After a year and a dozen kits later it is still probably the best one that I have made to date. I think you really shouldn't have changed the oak. The Oak tea bag that came with it is designed to soak for 14 days during the primary. I found the best part of the wine was the subtle, but noticeable vanilla flavor (from the oak) that I really loved and have been trying to replicate in other wines. I am thinking of trying the Grand Cru international (79) or Cru Select (99) Merlot next. I didn't top up mine at all so I didn't find it watery or thin at all. Actually it had more body and flavor than I was expecting.

These are great comments. You ought to do reviews of all three wines in the reviews section. That could be a good resource if we all add our own reviews. Your wines will get much better with age.

My first kit was a RJS Merlot International, it was quite good after I rebottled the wine in gallon jugs and degassed further with a vacuvin - then rebottled. You are right, I'm still trying to replicate the oak flavors in that wine, vanilla & chocolate notes. Maybe, it was the wine more than the oak that produced those flavors. Anyway, that wine is probably why I'm still making kits today.

Back