My other Hobby

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgecaprock

Reaction score
I've been growing Orchid Cactifor years now but have not been fortunate enough to see a bloom until tonight. It is a night blooming jungle cactus. I posted the bud last weekend and I'm so excited to show it to you now!!!! Here ist is at 7:30 tonight
20060810_190209_100_2339.jpg

ONE HOUR LATER:
And here it is at 8:30 pm....it is called Connie Mayer....very fragrant too!!
20060810_190423_100_2342.jpg

20060810_190545_100_2344.jpg

20060810_190620_100_2346.jpg

Hope you all enjoy it as much as I do....I think it only will last for one night, I'm waiting for an answer on that right now........Ramona
20060810_203115_spotlight.jpg

Diameter is about 9 inches.

Edited by: rgecaprock

I can only echo the previous...........WOW!! You won't find one of those in West by God Virginia. GReat pix
smiley20.gif
smiley32.gif

Pepere

Wonderful flower. If you want to make wine outof it though, you'll be up late harvesting the blooms! Also, be careful with the camera flash, I've heard they snap shut at the sight of the flash.
smiley36.gif

Quick, put down the camara and sanitize your primary! Absolutely gorgeus! How often does it bloom?

It is the first bloom I have had and it was a one nighter....they do produce a fruit that you can make wine from. I'm just working on building my collection. I have about 6 different varieties established and just ordered 3 more that I will put in soil this weekend, a mix of cactus soil, perlite and orchid bark. These plants are native to South America and Mexico. They grow in trees and anchor roots in the bark.....I am so hooked now that I saw the bloom!!!!!
The one in the picture has branches about 5 feet long and under the right conditions can have more than one bloom at at time. Hope I am lucky enough to see that happen.

RamonaEdited by: rgecaprock

Wow! Yes, I know that others said it, but Wow! That is so cool! Thank you for share! Bee u tee ful!!

This was definitely the best gift I could ever receive....the chance to see this flower bloom for my birthday!!!!

Ramona

Here is a picture of the fruits the orchid cactus produces. Some are as big as baseballs. I've read where they make excellent wine. I hope I am lucky enough to see at least one fruit called a "pitaya" or "Dragon Fruit" someday.

20060903_071506_pitaya_fruit.jpg

20060903_072008_red_dragon_egg.jpg
20060903_072058_yellow_dragon_e.jpg
Edited by: rgecaprock

Regina, we have about 100 Pitaya cacti growing in our house. Meighan, my wife, sells pitaya seeds on ebay. So far ours are only about 1.5 years old and are still small due to the container they are planted in. Those seeds however, are extremely potent. We get about a 99% germination rate. Dragon Fruits are common up our way, with almost every grocer bringing them in due to the heavy asian influence on the west coast.

Check your asian areas or china town's for Pitaya fruit, and take a few spoon scraping of seeds! We process them much like you would a tomato seed, just "ferment" for a few days in water to get rid of the pulp surrounding the seed, then dry. Plant in light cacti soil, or even just plain potting soil, and voila!

Ramona, I have had Dragon fruit juice once from a health food store. It
was actually very good. I wouldn't mind making a wine out of it if I
ever see it again.

Thanks Dean,

I will check it out. We have quite a few Asian stores here. I have never tasted the fruit. What would you compare it too? And have you ever made wine from them? And what about the flowers on your plants? Post pictures.

RamonaEdited by: rgecaprock

20061004_162401_PLANTINGS_SEPT_.jpg

I have quite a few more babies started of the same types of jungle cactus. All will hopefully have beautiful flowers in the future of various colors and fragrances. They like shade and humidity so they are in a good place right now. I haven't even thought about winter yet....especially since it is in the 90's here. Last year I didn't have to bring anything in because of the cold so hope not this winter either. They will get big so a house will be in the future if all goes well...............Ramona

Such a lovely bloom, thank you so much for sharing! Such beauty!
smiley32.gif
My green thumb last's forabout one year! After that, everything goes dormant forever.
smiley11.gif

Latest posts

Back