My new toy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know some out there had some interest in how these barrels are.
Here is an update:

Topped up the barrel today after 12 days, using reserve wine from the same batch. The blackberry wine is a little tart, with a PH of 3.0 going into the barrel.
Advise is on the first barrel fill to try tasting early as it easily can get over Oaked, so I did.
What is nice here is that I can compare the same wine; Oaked and Non-Oaked side by side!

The Non-Oaked is good, fruity and has a small acidic bite

Coming out of the barrel the taste is amazing! Acids have softened considerably and there is enough oak already in the wine. Wine appears much drier then the Non-Oaked , I think the barrel added a lot of tannin making it taste this way.
Looks like this barrel is indeed a good investment that wont break the bank.

I think I might have to get a vadai now just to compare :D

My barrel starting to seep through and soak the one head last week.
Considering the wine room has been getting cold and probably has less humidity lately this may be the cause.

Whatever the case, my blackberry was well oaked so I racked it out.

Next I washed the barrel out, filled with a hot water/sulfite solution and layed in a tub vertically. I also filled the exposed head with hot tap water.
After 2 days the barrel was emptied and refilled with lukewarm water.
I now soaked the other head for a day.

After drying I filled the area where the heads meet the staves with a layer of barrel wax even though it now looked to be sealed.

Seems to be 100% non leaking now so in went the old vine zinfandel today!

Last edited:
I had a bit of seeping on one of the heads as well. My Barbera has been in barrel since January 3 so I figure its getting close to being finished.

Which model did you go with I have been eyeing one of these for a while.
Black hoop steel hoop or Brass hoop? they are all toasted/roasted so is there a big difference?

Thought I heard somewhere to stay away from the black banded one as the paint peels. Not sure if this is 100% true or not.

Last edited:
Back