My first peach wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When the wine comes 'of age', you should be able to sneak the raisins past any but the most discerning palettes... I cant taste nor smell raisin in any amount, although i have read that some people are more sensitive to it - just like sorbate, k-meta, sweetness, abv, etc :)

But yeah, should be a wine you can be satisfied with

Pectin is a water-soluble fiber that is divided into very fine particles. When heated with a sugar solution, it takes up position, bonds with the sugar molecules and expands in a way that makes it nearly impossible to separate out from the rest of the product. From what I understand this causes a lot of problems with clearing.

@ Deezil, good to hear about the raisins not stealing the show. When she comes of age I will be sure to make good use of her, and tell you all about it.

@tonyandory Ah, so what is why it happens, Do you thing that something like superklear could take care of this?

That is what I use. That and time. I had a pepper wine that took 5 months to clear.

5/25/12

Checked the specific gravity, It was around .991 so it is pretty much as dry as it can get. I found the volume of the must to be 12.048 gallons using the volume of a cylinder formula. pi*r^2*h

Using the math expressed on page 4 that means if I assume that the raisins released ALL of their sugar they would of contributed 4.69oz sugar/gallon which means that the raisins raised the sg by 1.26 percent. Putting the final gravity at approximately 13.26. Possibly a little lower depending on how much sugar from the raisins were actually used.

Racked the wine into carboys, turns out the mathematical estimate was pretty much right on. I filled 1-6 gallon, 1-5 gallon and 1-1 gallon carboy. I plan on getting some peaches sometime and pressing them for their juice and concentrating it down. I plan on adding the f-pac after the next racking.

Just make sure you stabilize with k-meta&sorbate first or you'll just send the ABV through the roof :)

Pectin is a water-soluble fiber that is divided into very fine particles. When heated with a sugar solution, it takes up position, bonds with the sugar molecules and expands in a way that makes it nearly impossible to separate out from the rest of the product. From what I understand this causes a lot of problems with clearing.

Has anyone used bentonite pre-ferment with the pectin rich fruits, such as crabapple, apple, peach, or pear? Won't that typically help prevent a protein haze?

Alright, here is one for the crowd. Their is a good chance I wont be near my wine when the peaches are still being picked. However, I did find this...

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/peach-vintner-s-harvest-fruit-bases.html

What do you think about using two of these cans in my wine as an fpac? That would give the 1.5 gallon dilution I was hoping for to tone the alcohol down. And it would also mean no buying peaches, juicing them and any of that hassle.

Hell, its worth a shot..
I've never used vintner's harvest, but i know people recommend 2 for 5-6 gallon batches, dilluted as normal..

I'd add 1 at a time, stir, taste & check your SG though.. Hard to tell what those would do to it. But they'd probably give you that peach flavor you were looking for

Although with the 28.99 x 2 + shipping... That could be a lot of peaches @ 49 - 99 cents / pound in a few months..

Last edited:
Yeah, it could be a lot of peaches... That is the thing im facing. Im afraid I wont have time to drive an hour south to my house and hope to catch a farmers market selling peaches on the way down. Its kinda of an ease of use vs cost thing i reckon.

Then again, if I added those two cans it would be the equivalent of having half enough fruit body to start another 12 gallon batch. So, I think at the very least it would ensure that it had plenty of fruit taste lol

Ok guys, I did a calculation. Based on a claimed 1.050 sg of the peach concentrate and assuming that I lose nothing when I rack off the lees (when I rack to mix the concentrate in) and contributing in the fact that I would be adding 1.5 gallons of liquid into the must I come up with a sg of 1.005 after adding in the concentrate.

To do this I would need to add 36 oz of sugar along with the concentrate to get me a sg of about 1.010. That does not sound too sweet does it?

Alright, I bit the bullet and purchased 2 cans of vinters harvest peach concentrate. Im going to go ahead and add it in as an F-pac as well as a little bit of sugar. Im perhaps looking for somewhere on the sweet end of semi sweet.. So 1.008 sound good?

Seth, That is a good SG for Peach Wine. I just back sweetened 10 gals. to 1.006 [my taste] and 5 gals. to 1.114 for "sweet gifts" my 15 gals. is now 1 yr. old in the carboys, guess I be bottling real soon. Roy

Eggcelent.... I most likely wont stick to 1.006 exactly but I will go from their and bring it to my taste. Perhaps when my wine is ready we could do a wine swap?

Ok, after the juice from the cans was added ( the cans were half filled with chopped peaches) I added the rest of my sugar syrup to it and that brought the gravity to 1.010. As of now I currently have around 12.5 gallons of peach wine aging. Im hoping this one will turn out down the road.

Seth, Did you mean a S.G. of 1.100, if so it's a little high but will work. You may need an F-Pac to increase flavor & reduce the ABV. My Peach Wines are usually 12-12.5 %, I wouldn't go much higher. Roy

I think you misunderstood where I am at in the process. I added the juice as an f-pac and to dilute the alcohol down. I added the syrup to back sweeten. And I do indeed mean 1.010.

Right now im gona let it age for atleast a year I reckon and see what we have got on our hands.

Latest posts

Back