My first peach wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, Im pretty excited about it. My greatest fear is still that it will come out too lite on the peach taste.

Just tried a bottle of the peach wine yesterday. It taste pretty good and the peach flavour comes through but I think it is kind of flat tasting. I am thinking perhaps some acid blend would do it good? Thoughts and opinions?

Did you test the acid? My peach is great, and it is setting at a TA of 0.70 and SG of 1.003. I try and balance around .65 to .75 I like mine in that range my wife likes a sweet wine so I try and stay around SG of 1.001 to 1.004 for any of my fruit wine and raise the acid to the higher side. I would not add acid without first measuring where it is before adding and also need to know the sugar amount since acid needs to balance with the sweetness of the wine. A high SG for a sweet wine needs a high TA, dessert wine above 1.005 needs TA approaching 1.0% the sweeter the wine the higher the acid needs to be. Peach is a delicate flavor to work with but it is a great tasting wine, one of my favorites.

Last edited:
Yeah, i am ashamed to admit i do not have the equipmemt to test acid so i am going to.have to so it by taste... i do plan om getting the needed equipment this summer though... but you do recomend acid additions to peach wine?

If your reading of 1.01 for SG is correct and you did not add acid blend at the start of the ferment I would start with 2 teaspoons of acid blend in 6 gallon, 1.01 is on the low side of sweet, then taste and work up .5 teaspoons at a time until you like the taste.

Yeah, its at 1.008 just checked.. the acid was at .2 so i added untill i thought it was good.. around .7 .. i ended up adding around 18 tsp to my 11 gallons

Yeah that is the hope... Today has been a big wine day for me. Bottled 4.5 cases of peach. And i am currently in the proccess of racking what i beleive to be the most flotal mead in the world

Yeah 0.20 is very low acid, that wine would be FLAT especially for a wine that is at the low end of sweet. If the taste is to your satifaction I would leave it at 0.07 I would think that is on the high end for a sugar of 1.008 but if you like it that is the main thing. Might want to bench test a little higher sugar. Fruit wine flavors vary so much and the right acid/sugar balance is very important, when the balance is right the taste of the fruit flavor burst out as you have seen.

Acid was adjusted to around .70 ish. SG 1.008. Age 441 days old. ie 14 months and 15 days. I have not had a bottle of it in a couple months so I am curious to see if it has changed any. Hopefully I will be visiting this old friend again soon.

Ok, wow! talk about what time can do for a wine. It is not jump out and lick you in the face peach flavour but it is defiantly fruity and tasting of peaches. The acidity from my acid adjustment has calmed down a lot. I was originally afraid I overdid it a bit. All in all, the wine is ready to drink and I have no trouble at all presenting it to friends.

I can only imagine what it would taste like if I would of used fresh peaches, but for coming from the freezer section of the discount store, this guy did alright.

Glad to hear that seth, I just got 3 large boxes of fresh Chambersburg peaches and made 12 gallon yesterday can't wait.

Hey, Seth, how did that wine turn out? We just cut 53 lbs of fresh peaches into 44 lbs of slices and put 'em in the freezer. Will generally follow Deezil and Duster's path, sounds like we'll only get 2, 2.5 gallons of juice, so we'll make it up to 6 gallons with water, and add raisins and suger to get to about 11%. Also accumulating 15 lbs of blackberries for a 3-gal batch of the dark side....

Thanks, I am superglad it turned out alright as well. I will leave some to sit longer of course just to see what it does over time. I am jealous of your fresh peaches.

Hey, Seth, how did that wine turn out? We just cut 53 lbs of fresh peaches into 44 lbs of slices and put 'em in the freezer. Will generally follow Deezil and Duster's path, sounds like we'll only get 2, 2.5 gallons of juice, so we'll make it up to 6 gallons with water, and add raisins and suger to get to about 11%. Also accumulating 15 lbs of blackberries for a 3-gal batch of the dark side....

The wine turned out as you just read ( ; . I would not add any water to your must, just use the peach juice. That is my only regret about my wine. Mine turned out alright with an abv higher than 11% However, nothing wrong with aiming for 11% abv either.

I like your idea of a blackberry batch as well, do you intend on making a black peach?

Oops, didn't read all the way to the end...

Latest posts

Back