My First Muscadine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sangwitch

Reaction score
After months of talk and being hassled about lost freezer space coupled with a delay in my travel schedule, I'm finally making a move on the muscadines!

I have just under 20 lbs. I'm thinking this should make a nice 3-gallon batch, or maybe add some concentrate and push it up to 5-gallon. I'll probably go straight muscadine though.

Right now the grapes are defrosting so pictures of the fiasco will be posted soon... Edited by: sangwitch

Good luck with your Muscadine wine.
smiley1.gif
Hope to see lots of pics and step by step instructions. It's a great help when we can see and hear what you are doing.

Alright sang......You go buddy......Need any help just let me know.

Ok, here’s my recipe:
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
20 lbs Muscadines
8 lbs granulated sugar
2 (or so) gallons water
3 tsp pectic enzyme
3 tsp yeast nutrient
1.5 tsp yeast energizer
3 crushed Campden tablet
1 packet Montrachet wine yeast

Well... almost 20 lbs...
20070318_123539_1.jpg

First step: clean and sanitize everything of course! Then we dissolved the sugar in two gallons of boiling water. While the water was cooling we crushed the grapes in small batches using Waldo’s freezer bag / rolling pin method. Actually, we gave up on the rolling pin after a while and used our fists and hands to crush.

20070318_124319_2.jpg

20070318_124419_3.jpg

I'm using 1-gallon nylon paint straining bags to hold the crushed grapes. We ended up with four bags full, plus almost a gallon of juice.
20070318_125139_4.jpg

20070318_125214_5.jpg

20070318_125252_6.jpg

the mallet was not used. It wanted to be in the photo.

next we poured the hot sugar water over the grapes in the primary, added the yeast energizer, nutrient, crushed camden tabs and juice and gave everything a big stir. I will check levels later on.

The juice smelled awesome and was thick like syrup. Yum.

Looking good sang......hope them hands don't break out with no Muscadine rash. They are pretty acidic

I kept them out of the way for the most part Waldo, but they did get itchy afterI squeezed the straining bags. I read that you should wear gloves when dealing with them.

Itchy....
smiley3.gif
Who'd a thought????

Around here we have wild Lady Slippers...the state flower and they are protected....I know a person..
smiley2.gif
actually many persons who have dug them to plant in their flower beds and they get a tell-tale rash from them....Like Poison Ivy...but worse.

Natures way of protecting the good things in life.Edited by: Northern Winos

Looks real pretty sang!!!

BTW, My bronze muscadine vine I bought....I gave it to Curtis' parents to plant out in the country.

Some day I hope to be just like you all!!! Ramona

I discovered this morning that I had no more pectic enzyme left and the local wine store is closed on Mondays. Hey... that's something I can probably get at Krogers huh?

In any case... I took the SG tonight and it was1.090. The recipe I'm following says 1.090 or higher so I left it as is. I then broke out the ol' acid test kit, got real frustrated with that and ended up doing a taste test. Tasted good so I decided to leave the levels where they are for now and pitched the yeast.

I'm assuming I can add the pectic enzyme tomorrow or so. The recipe basically says to add pectic 12 hours after juice is in primaryand then pitch the yeast 12 hours after that.

picking the state flower... tsk, tsk, tsk
smiley17.gif

bronze huh? I stumbled across my vines out in the woods behind my house. : )

Looking good sang.has a really nice color to it now but it will intensify as time passes. Looks like you still have a good strong fermentation going in this picture.

I think that Muscadine wine is the most beautiful color!!

Waldo, when I get a chance to make Muscadine you will be my guru!!

The one vine I gave to Curtis' Mom to plant in the country....how long before it will produce and will one vine produce enough for a batch?

Ramona

Latest posts

Back