WineXpert My first kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It slows down theFermation process (cutting off the oxygen) there fore making the yeastconstraint on makingalcohol; in stead of multipling. With a sg of 1.020 you should have enough yeast cells to fermat to dryness.

Earl,

If you follow the directions included in the kit your wine will come out fine. It is normal to ask lots of questions and be concerned at times but these kits are basically foolproof and the only thing that could go wrong is lack of proper sanitation causing an issue.

Relax and as Tim says follow the directions exactly eliminating no detail!

For those who don't know Tim Vandergrift is the Technical Services Manager for Winexpert Ltd.

Here is an explanation from Tim Vandergrift on what the bentonite does for their wine kits:

"The bentonite is in the primary fermentation for two reasons:

<UL>
<LI>It helps increase the rate of yeast growth, acting as an accelerant for budding activity
<LI>It helps settle out yeast cells post-fermentation, and prevents hazes from early autolysing cells.</LI>[/list]

It really doesn't have much to do with heat hazes, as we don't heat-extract our juices (when you do heat extractions the colour compounds aren't stable--they just drop out of suspension after a while) and is mainly concerned with compacting the sediment bed, not with ultimately clarifying a post-fermentation wine.

The difference in bentonite preparation has to do with the difference in all of the bentonites available on the market. Some rehydrate easily, others are nearly hygroscopic, and need to be soaked for hours before they will perform their function."

Well day 3. I realized this morning I did not sanitize the lid of the primary fermenter. So I took the lid off and sanitized it then took a SG reading just for grins.

It read about 1.088. So it has rose from my first one.

It appears I am making GRAPE JUICE
smiley1.gif

My wife is laughing her rear off. In college I was a biology major with a minor in chemistry. I was always horrible at the lab portion.

earl

Did you spin the hydrometer to make sure there were no bubbles building up on it?

If the bubbles build up on it the hydrometer becomes more buoyant and will throw your reading off. Spinning it will help prevent this.

I took a SG reading this morning and had a 1.034. I spun it and ensured no bubbles were around the hydrometer. So it appears to be moving in the right direction.

How long do you let the equipment, hydrometer etc., sit in the sanibrite??

The jar says no rinse so I let the hydrometer sit in there for a couple of minutes then just stuck in the primary fermenter. Before putting the lid back on I rinsed it off with the remaining sanibrite solution.

earl

earl said:
How long do you let the equipment, hydrometer etc., sit in the sanibrite??

The jar says no rinse so I let the hydrometer sit in there for a couple of minutes then just stuck in the primary fermenter. Before putting the lid back on I rinsed it off with the remaining salubrity solution.

earl

The only cleaning solution I could find info on with the name Sanibrite was a toilet bowl cleaner
smiley11.gif
So sorry, can't help you with a required contact time.

I use Easy Clean which depending on where you read is either on contact sanitation or requires 30 seconds soak time.
smiley36.gif
To be on the safe side I normally let sit for at least 30 seconds.

Easy Clean is No Rinse as well but many times I will rinse. I have noticed my hose feel "tacky" after it dries if I don't rinse. If there is any info on the label of the sanitizer you use, you might Google it to see if you can find some info or an MSDS.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Here a couple of photo's. I took the SG today and it read 1.004 so I racked to the carboy per the instructions. Prior to racking I used Easy Clean, not sanibrite, my bad, on everything.

2005-12-21_123102_Set91_01.jpg

That is a bottle I practiced putting the label, cork and cap on.

2005-12-21_123240_Set92_02.jpg

2005-12-21_123352_Set93_02.jpg

I wrapped the bung in some plastic wrap. I pushed it in there

good and hard but it still seemed a little loose.

earl

Do you have bubbles coming through the airlock? If so you may be OK.
Also, try putting a little sanitizer solution around the bung before placing it
on the carboy. If you have an air leak you may be able to see a bubble or
two.

The air lock is bubbling away pretty good right now. I will definately keep an eye on it.

earl

Don't leave it too long with the sun shinning on it like that....they say it's not good for that lovely color....so they say!

I took it directly after the last picture and put it in a dark area of the house, no direct sunlight. I am hoping in 10 days to start step 3.

earl

Just make sure that it has stopped fermenting and that the SG is consistent
over a 24 hour period. The hardest thing to do is to wait.
smiley1.gif

Earl,

I am curious as to reason and purpose of the plastic wrap with the airlock?
smiley5.gif

I put the plastic wrap on to help hold the bung in place. The bung felt a bit loose so I wrapped it up. I read that in a home wine making book somewhere. Now that I think of it, it is probably not necessary with the air lock letting out any built up CO2, constantly equalizing the pressure.

earl

Angell, I am having a blast, albeit a slow-be-patient-blast. My wife thinks I went off the deep end, especially when I show her the cost of expanding this hobby, but it seems worth it. My next kit will be a Green Apple Reisling, kicked up a few notches, just in time for summer fun. I am hoping summer starts in February
smiley2.gif

Thanks for all the help and replies.

earl

I thought I would never do ascratch wine, but I've gotten hooked on those too. Do a couple more kits then try do some scratch wines then you will really be busy. So many fruits. so little carboys.

Angell Wine said:
I thought I would never do ascratch wine, but I've gotten hooked on those too. Do a couple more kits then try do some scratch wines then you will really be busy. So many fruits. so little carboys.

Welcome to my world.
smiley32.gif

Well I thought I would give an update on my first kit.

The bottles are beautiful. A great looking maroon cap with a matching label. They are clean and really look like someone took care to make a great product. They really inspire confidence that the wine inside will be a work of art.

Upon pulling the cork I can see that George's corks are holding up nicely. They pull easily and so far no leakage.

Now the pour....As the berry filled Beaujalois hits the glass the first thig that comes to mind is..What the hell is that smell?? Is Beaujalois latin for STINKY FEETor ARMPIT? After a few minutes of decanting I realize that smell goes away and is replaced with the wonderful smell of rich berries run throughthe digestive system of a 1 year old and depostited in a diaper.

Now the taste....As I hold my breath and takea sip the first tasteto hit my palate is SMOKE GRENADE. It takes me back to my days in the military. If I had to give a color I would have to say Yellow. The second sensation is SULFUR. Not much, just enough to make your head shake violently side to side as you force it into your gut. Under it all is a layer of fruit to tantalize you of what might of been.

I amguessing I messed this up somehow.

earl

smiley19.gif
Earl- I'm sad your wine taste like something from a diaper!?!
smiley11.gif
I don't have any advice, just compassion. I'm hoping I'll have better luck w/ my first batch. I'm so sorry
smiley19.gif

Latest posts

Back