WineXpert My first kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earl

Reaction score
I am going to try and upload some photo's.

These are my two boys, not wanting to smile as I got the supplies ready.

2005-12-15_185128_Set86_01.jpg

The kitchen where history is being made
smiley1.gif

2005-12-15_185403_Set86_02.jpg

That is a bottle of 2003 Smokin Loon Shiraz. YUMMY
smiley1.gif

Sort of an out with the old, in with the new, picture.

2005-12-15_185645_Set88_01.jpg

This is the Hydromometerilerger thingy.

It read 1.074. The kit says that is o.k.

2005-12-15_185910_Set89_01.jpg

You can't see it but there is Yeasty-Beasties in there. I hope

they start EATIN GRAPES AND FARTIN ALCOHOL soon.

2005-12-15_190033_Set90_01.jpg

I'll keep you posted

Cheers

earl

Edited by: earl

Next thing you know you'll have three primary's and 10 carboy's of various sizes and looking to buy more...

Enjoy...

Welcome Earl

And the fun begins....It is fun Earl, hope you enjoy.

Welcome Earl. There is no turning back now podner. You be hooked !!!

I am with the others, good job and thanks for the photos.One thingy you might consider obtaining is a floating thermometer to go with your hydrometer.

Many time when I make a batch the Must is too warm from adding warm water to the juice bag to get all the goodness out of it. The temp normally averages around 80-85 degrees F even after filling up with cool water out of my spring water cooler. If you add the yeast to this when it is too warm, the Yeast will burn itself up too quick.

You want the Must around 70-75 degrees F. Just a thought for adding to your materials arsenal. I actually use the thermometer more than the hydrometer.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Smurfe

I was wondering about that last night. I am goingorder one from George in the next couple of days, when I order a green appple reisling, and another carboy.

This morning there is a goopy, bubbly layer on top. I think that means fermentation. If it is too warm does it not ferment properly? I know yeast can be killed from too warm conditions.

Can the must pick up flavors from stuff cooking in the kitchen??

Why was betonite added during primary fermentation? I know it is a fining agent but thought it would be added later.

thanks for the support

earl

Welcome Earl,

I think the Bentonite gets added to get rid of a lot of the grunge when you
transfer to your secondary. That way, most of what you put in the carboy is
wine.

Welcome!

earl said:
Smurfe

I was wondering about that last night. I am goingorder one from George in the next couple of days, when I order a green appple reisling, and another carboy.

This morning there is a goopy, bubbly layer on top. I think that means fermentation. If it is too warm does it not ferment properly? I know yeast can be killed from too warm conditions.

Can the must pick up flavors from stuff cooking in the kitchen??

Why was betonite added during primary fermentation? I know it is a fining agent but thought it would be added later.

thanks for the support

earl

You are correct in the Goobly Goop on the surface represents fermentation.

Yes, the yeast can be killed by too warm of temps. You can still have fermentation as well but it is too rapid and the yeast die off too soon so there is not a full fermentation and the SG is too high resulting in too low alcohol content. Experts, please correct me here if I am wrong.

I don't think I would worry about picking up scents of foods cooking in the kitchen. Now you don't want the primary right next to the stove though due to temperature influxes and other sanitation issues such as splattering grease or foods. The gasses withing the primary will be "exiting" the vessel pushing anything trying to enter out.

My opinion on the Benonite is that it is a clay material that needs a warm temp liquid to dissolve it and this will not happen with a primary or carboy full of 70 degree liquid, it would most likely sink right to the bottom in the lees and not be dissolved in the Must.

Keep us posted on the progress. We love to talk about others projects. I hope to take a few pics of the step by step process in my next few kits and post them up here.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

The goop is now gone. There are little bubbles coming to the surface. The top looks like it did yesterday before adding yeast.

Concerned??

earl

earl said:
The goop is now gone. There are little bubbles coming to the surface. The top looks like it did yesterday before adding yeast.

Concerned??

earl

Well, It is kinda early in the process for the foam to be gone but if there are bubbles rising, may still be all good. Just check the SG after 5-6 days if it keeps dropping, the fermentation is still working.

These kits are pretty foolproof so don't stress it too much. I was the same way with my first kit. Asked a ton of questions which is cool. Just sit back and let the kit do its job with little interference. It should be fine.

If you stirred the must really good when you mixed it up, pop the lid on and slap an airlock in and watch it bubble away. If it is, you know the yeasts are doing their jobs.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

The best advice I've got was from George. On kit wines do has the direction say, cover it up and forget it about for the first six days. I'm sure you can screw one of this kits up but I've never heard of one it yet. You're doing good, Just relax and enjoy the bubbles.

I put the lid on it and put an airlock in it. Not because I think it needs it but it keeps me from constantly looking at it
smiley1.gif

There is about 1 bubble per second coming from the airlock. I won't touch it at all. In a couple of days I will take a SG reading and see where it sits.

I assume that when the bubbles completely stop then it is done fermenting?

earl

The one thing I do thatis notsaid in the directions, is to rack to the carboy when the sg reaches 1.020 whether it is day 3 or day 10.

Most of the fermentation has died down, yet oxygen can be a bother to wines at that stage.

The racking SG is a personal preference. I like to do it at 1.030. Stick with a number that's under 1.040 and you're fine.
smiley1.gif

Earl - Just review the kit directions for the proper time to rack to your
carboy. Usually the directions give you the target SG, maybe 1.02 or 1.01.
This is why the directions advise you to have your hydrometer ready. You
can take readings whenever you want, but keep notes and watch for when
the value hits the target specified in the directions. Fermentation will go
rapidly if your space is warm, and it will go slowly if you keep the house
cool. The length of time doesn't matter, but rather the target SG value.
Good luck!

Bill

Latest posts

Back