WineXpert My first kit, have you tried this Chilean Malbec?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geek

Still lost.....
Reaction score
I took the plunge and bought this kit (my first kit ever) and followed instructions to pitch the yeast a few minutes ago.
Barcode on the box has these numbers: 0607113

Based on julian calendar it looks like it was produced March 12, 2013.

Any comments?

Wine kit.jpg

Wine kit2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the reminder. I started that kit last November. Label says I racked it last mid January. Time for a taste :)

Just tasted. Comments are all relative to Apothic Red - readily available, inexpensive and very tasty!

Lighter body than Apothic and a bit more fruity. Nice aroma that matches the common descriptions for Malbec. Needs more in the middle, but otherwise ready for bottling. This was topped up with approx 1/2 bottle of Trapiche Malbec at the last racking.

I will be adding some Tancor or oak or both and give another 30-60 days then bottle. I will also add this kit to the repeat list to pick up when deals are around. If I didn't already have 6 kits in the queue, I would go ahead buy/start another now.

Overall I'm very pleased with this considering the level of the kit. This is perfect for everyday drinking (which is what I got it for) and you can't beat the finished bottle cost for the quality, IMO.

I also have a Sangiovese from the same line going that I started around the same time frame.

I can't give detailed tasting notes, but I just racked this again on Friday. Fermentation started last October. I really liked it, although it doesn't taste much like Malbecs that I've purchased. Very fruity and enjoyable. I'm going to bottle next weekend.

I did a Pinot Noir from the World Vineyard Line. about 18 months old, and was aged a month on extra oak. It turned out quite good, it is lighter in body than the Estate series Sonoma Pinot Noir (which is just excellent)

I did a Pinot Noir from the World Vineyard Line. about 18 months old, and was aged a month on extra oak. It turned out quite good, it is lighter in body than the Estate series Sonoma Pinot Noir (which is just excellent)

What type of oak did you use and when did you use it?

Latest posts

Back