Other My first kit, Clarity question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcane

Junior
Reaction score
Hello folks!

My first kit is a Glad Hatter Merlot that I started May 1st. I racked to secondary on May 14 as per instructions at a SG of 0.998. I added sulfite and sorbate followed by kieselsol and Chitosan then degassed with my drill stirrer and have now let the wine stand 3 weeks. According to the instructions I'm supposed to be bottling today as long as it's crystal clear... But how do I tell if it's crystal clear? Lol

Hello folks!

My first kit is a Glad Hatter Merlot that I started May 1st. I racked to secondary on May 14 as per instructions at a SG of 0.998. I added sulfite and sorbate followed by kieselsol and Chitosan then degassed with my drill stirrer and have now let the wine stand 3 weeks. According to the instructions I'm supposed to be bottling today as long as it's crystal clear... But how do I tell if it's crystal clear? Lol

For kits, secondary is the second stage or phase of alcoholic fermentation. Your wine apparently went through primary and secondary before you racked; that's why it is pretty much dry at an SG of .998. That's OK, as you completed all the fermentation in a single container, which many of us do. So, the racking you did was to rack off the fine lees to begin the stabilizing and clearing phase.

Compare your wine to a similar commercial wine. Even though it is red and not easy to see through, if the wine is clear, it will not have a powdery look. It will not look cloudy but crisp.

You don't have to bottle right away. Many of us seldom bottle for at least a year or more. You can let the wine set another week or so, then rack it off the sediment in the bottom. Let it set another 6 weeks or so; if no more sediment develops in the bottom, go ahead and bottle. If you find sediment, rack again and wait another 6 weeks.

Thank you for your quick response! I'll do just that :) what sort of temperature should it be sitting at if I let it sit a while - which I think I will. And if it winds up being too dry for my taste (which I'm starting to think it will be) when would I backsweeten it? Before or after I rack it again?

Latest posts

Back