My first batch of wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just transfered my must to the secondary fermenter. The SG was .996. I had to add a full bottle of similar wine to keep it close to the 3" that the instructions call for in the 6 gal carboy. Even then it was probably a liitle over the 3". Is it normal to have to add that much extra wine?

I have racked the must into the secondary fermenter. The kit instructions state not to do anything and after 10 days to put the finings in. How often do most people test the sg at this point? It was already lower then the instructions stated when I put it into the secondary.

Sg is more important that time as far as kit instructions go.

I would let it settle a few days before adding fining agent, but I would check the sg and document what it is.

I just took the SG and it is .991. The must has been in the secondary for almost 6 days. The SG was .996 when it was racked.

Last edited:
It looks like I'll be adding the finings in the next few days. My next question is how long do I leave it in the secondary before I put it in the oak barrel? The kit instructions state to leave it in the secondary for another 20 days before bottling.

Thanks

Idk about that, but once you get it clear I would assume you can go straight to the barrel and taste every 2 or 3 days until you get the oak you want. I don't do barrels so take that for what it is. Lol

I put the fining in a few days ago and I'm looking everyday to see how it clears. It's even starting to smell like wine. As soon as it clears I'll condition the barrel and rack it over. I plan on leaving it in the barrel 4-6 weeks depending taste.

Thanks for all the help everyone!!

It's been a week since I started the clearing process. it seems weird not to be doing anything. Do I just let it sit there for the next couple of weeks?

Thanks

Lol, I think on my first one I'll keep to the instructions. I do think in the future I may want to try and see what the differences are if you speed it up a little. Thanks

No problem, but just so you know super kleer is a wonderful little miracle.Now that said it is made from shellfish so you gotta be careful about who you give it to.

Latest posts

Back