My barrel adventure!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:u:u:u:u:u:u

3 weeks in the barrel and it needs to come out.
My Barolo has oak. It has a great oak flavor! I have a feeling if I were to leave it in for another week It would be beyond the point of absolute oakyness!!!
Since the wine is young the oak flavor over takes anything else, but you can taste an underlying potential for some fruit in there.

I intend to rack the barolo out and replace with the Super Tuscan this weekend.

this is turning out to be an awesome experience!!

:se

Don't be surprised to find out 3 months from now that the oak levels have dropped considerably. This seems to happen with barrels as opposed to beans/cubes. I have rotated many a wine in for a short period 4-8 weeks, let them sit for 3-4 months and taste them, then put them back in for another 4 weeks. This helps to give the wine a bit more micro oxidation and concentration and smooth it out more.

Elmer, don't be scared to follow Mike's suggestion of rotating the Barolo back in the barrel for a few weeks after the Super Tuscan comes out. Wish I had thought of that a year or so ago when my barrels were new.

Elmer, don't be scared to follow Mike's suggestion of rotating the Barolo back in the barrel for a few weeks after the Super Tuscan comes out. Wish I had thought of that a year or so ago when my barrels were new.

Thanks for info.
I am going to run the Super Tuscan through .
Then Brunello.
and then rotate stuff back in and forth as needed.
If the barrel goes neutral in time (Ie: before bottling day) I may run the Pinot Noir in there (as opposed to medium toast cubes)

Don't be surprised to find out 3 months from now that the oak levels have dropped considerably. This seems to happen with barrels as opposed to beans/cubes. I have rotated many a wine in for a short period 4-8 weeks, let them sit for 3-4 months and taste them, then put them back in for another 4 weeks. This helps to give the wine a bit more micro oxidation and concentration and smooth it out more.

I am so glad to read this as I have done this very thing with 3 different reds. They have turned out beautifully so far.

Last edited:
If the barrel goes neutral in time (Ie: before bottling day) I may run the Pinot Noir in there (as opposed to medium toast cubes)

I ran a Pinot through my newest barrel after it had been in use only 13 weeks. I only left it in for just shy of 9 weeks though. It could have gone longer, but I didn't want to take any chances with over oaking that one.

I ran a Pinot through my newest barrel after it had been in use only 13 weeks. I only left it in for just shy of 9 weeks though. It could have gone longer, but I didn't want to take any chances with over oaking that one.

Pinot Noir is my wife's favorite so I am being very carfeul with the batch I have made.
I have already gotten her to realize she like oak (which she was unaware previously), but I want to maintain the fruitiness to it and not create and oak bomb.

I may just use oak cubes on it, but would want to put it in the oak barrel for get rid of the Kit Taste!

I have a Pinot currently in mine as well and will keep an eye on it. It is the fourth wine to go in so the barrel has mellowed. This should allow a slower oaking process with the ability to dial it in. I am hoping

Racked the Barolo out. Put the an Rjs EP super Tuscan.
I ended up bottling 5 bottles and filling my barrel.
I had a remainder of less than 1/2 a bottle which sadly I had to drink with dinner.
However while drinking the super Tuscan with dinner I was marveling at how good it tastes at 5 months.
I like it as is, and started to wonder with a month in a barrel make it better?
It is tough to have these dilemmas !
ImageUploadedByWine Making1394319636.677784.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Tried the super Tuscan after 2 weeks in the barrel and it certainly has oak.
It is now a super oaky Tuscan.
I planned on leaving it there for 4 more weeks (total of 6) but now not so sure.
I don't want to over oak, but I know other have indicated that wine will smooth out after a few months of aging!

Tried the super Tuscan after 2 weeks in the barrel and it certainly has oak.
It is now a super oaky Tuscan.
I planned on leaving it there for 4 more weeks (total of 6) but now not so sure.
I don't want to over oak, but I know other have indicated that wine will smooth out after a few months of aging!

This is part of the ART not the SCIENCE. You will learn to take it just past where you are comfortable and let it settle back. I often bottle from the barrel but it is better with a new barrel to rack back into glass for a few months to see how the oak settles. If it fades too much you can add a spiral for a few weeks prior to bottling. Be sure to check it at week three, you might have to pull it.

Tried the super tuscan last night, while topping the barrel.
After 1 month in a barrel this stuff is outstanding.
It is oaky, smokey,
I got a shot of vanilla, my wife says I am a loon!

I was able to compare the oaked, to the non-oak tuscan.
warden and myself much prefer the oaked version.

wine has been in the barrel for 4 weeks. I am planning on leaving it in for about 2 more.
I don't want to over do it, but want to let it get fully oaked and then bottle.

Then I will move in the brunello for an extended stay.

My Super Tuscan was the first wine through my first barrel. It stayed 5 weeks. The oak was strong when I first racked it out of there, but it has integrated incredibly well after almost a year in the bottle. Give this one time after you bottle and it will reward your patience.

I racked my Tuscan out and my Brunello in.

My wife tried what would not fit In the barrel and she loved the Brunello! So much so, she has asked me to make more. I think she said she could drink a bottle of it right that moment.

Now it it has me worried, because it brings up my biggest fear. Changing or adding to something you already like, does it always come out better.

I may buy another Brunello and either not run it through an oak barrel or a neutral barrel.

The young wines change almost weekly. And I have never completely duplicated a batch I liked. You could start another Burnell now and blend the two before bottling.

Couple of nice humid days, and my barrel is starting to show signs of leaking. Luckily it is on the top side of a band, closest to the hole, so gravity is still my friend.
My basement is still a cool 60 degree, but I have to imagine this has something to do with humidity, atmospheric pressure and the wine G*ds just wanting me to be busy!

I suspect what you're seeing is pressure related. If anything I'd expect higher humidity to seal it up tighter.

Brunello came out Barolo back in.

Brunello spent a month in there and is getting super oaky!

Barolo needs som character. Since the barrel is losing its oak ican leave the Barolo in there for a while

Wiser people than I have stated a belief that after three months in a small barrel the wine has achieved most if mot all of available benefits.

I by no means claim to be the smartest.... But I highly doubt that statement..... I believe it takes a minimum of three months to feel the changes a barrel can provide. But longer is better.

Sam

Back