My barrel adventure!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a perfect thread showing that you MUST take the time and seal a new barrel CORRECTLY or you will have nothing but trouble! It takes me 6 hours to seal my new barrels. Then.... 3 days of a cold soak of water before using.... I never had one leak. Cannot rush it....

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Started prepping my barrel yesterday. Daughter and myself filled it will good warm/hottish water. 5.1 gallons to be exact.
Really entertaining to watch as it seals itself slowly.
However the back end (along the face plate) and 2 spots on the bottom refuse to seal.
Now I am in the process of draining and sealing with wax.
Wife is not entirely crazy about me using a Small blow torch in the house to melt some wax. Appearently "it's all good" does not reassure her the way I had hoped!
But this sure is an experience!
View attachment 13630

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I hope this won't be your last barrel. Here is some info on the procedure off the Vadai Barrel website.... I use the hot version and works great on all makes and models!

BARREL PREP INSTRUCTIONS

PREPARATION FOR NEW TOASTED BARRELS PRIOR TO USE
Do Not Remove the Saran Wrap from the barrel until you are ready to prep the barrel with our Barrel Prep Instructions and Store The Barrel In A Cool Place to keep the wood from drying out.

Prep your barrel just before you are going to make your wine in the barrel, otherwise if your barrel is not in use after you prep it, you will have to treat your barrel with the Barrel Prep After Use Instructions using sulfite so no bacteria forms in the barrel while it is sitting around waiting for the winemaking procedure.

HOW TO PREPARE THE BARREL BEFORE PUTTING WINE IN IT
Tighten the hoops if they are loose. Start with the belly hoops up to the head hoops.
We tighten all of the hoops if they are loose at our warehouse before we ship your barrel.

WATER TREATMENT
Put boiling hot water on the head of the upright barrel 30 minutes.
Do the same on the other head.
Repeat the boiling hot water procedure on the heads one more time.
Put 3/10th of the barrel measurement of hot boiling water inside the barrel.
Put the bung in place and stand the barrel on each head about 30 minutes.
Do not stand in front of the bung because the pressure of the steam could shoot the bung out like a bullet and could hurt someone or damage something.
Roll the barrel slowly on its belly so the boiling water hits all of the staves.
Keep the boiling hot water in the barrel for 2 to 3 hours.
Pour the water out of the barrel.
Lie the barrel down on it's side with the bung opening in the upright position.
Fill the barrel completely with tap water.
Fill the barrel daily with tap water and keep it full until the barrel does not show any leakage or wetness
outside of the barrel. At least 3 to 5 days.
You must add sulfite to the water proportionately to your barrel size if you have to soak your barrel more than 3 days so no germ can develop in the barrel during the barrel soaking process.
If the barrel shows any wetness the second day or after that, the winemaker should extend the soaking to at least 7 days or as many days as it is required to stop the leakage.

After the barrel has stopped leaking, soak the barrel a minimum of 3 to 5 more days.
The acidity in the wine or brandy will find the smallest hole and cause a leak if the barrel is not soaked well enough.
If you do not soak your barrels properly with water, you will loose some of your wine & brandy because it will soak into the barrel wood.
If the barrel was leaking water more than 2 days, "DO NOT PUT WINE IN YOUR BARREL."

Sdelli:

Those are the instructions I follow. So far, they have worked flawlessly on my two barrels.

Yep Vadai instructions are excellent. Worked perfectly for me twice.
Elmer, it is worth the effort. Say goodbye to any KT now.

Yep Vadai instructions are excellent. Worked perfectly for me twice.
Elmer, it is worth the effort. Say goodbye to any KT now.

KT????

I wish I had known about the Vadai Barrel website instructions.
I followed the instructions that came with the barrel, which was to fill with hot water and let sit for a few days.
I dont want anyone to think I rushed this, I tried to take my time and even had my wife telling me to relax !!!
(I have conducted this entire experiment in the kitchen, where the barrel has remained on my kitchen island, dead center in the kitchen. as a side note, my wife is becoming increasingly not thrilled with each passing day!)

The problem was I lost so much water that after a day it was no longer hot, nor filled to where the leak was.
So I refilled with boiling water.
The hot water method worked to an extent for part of the barrel, but that were 3 spots that just would not seal.

As prevoiusly stated this would not have been my choice of a barrel, but I am was not in control of what I was given.
I am trying to make the best out of what I have.
But in the end, does it matter if it was sealed naturally or with 3 globs of wax (and the screams of 2 burnt fingers)?

now I just have to be patient with leaving wine in there!

Elmer KT refers to kit taste. That is the odd taste that some kits have that goes away after a year or so of aging. Many of us are not bothered by it and others are sensitive to it. Barrel aging helps eliminate it. You'll love your new 5 gallon toy as much as you love the sweetie that gave it to you.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wine Making mobile app

KT????

I wish I had known about the Vadai Barrel website instructions.
I followed the instructions that came with the barrel, which was to fill with hot water and let sit for a few days.
I dont want anyone to think I rushed this, I tried to take my time and even had my wife telling me to relax !!!
(I have conducted this entire experiment in the kitchen, where the barrel has remained on my kitchen island, dead center in the kitchen. as a side note, my wife is becoming increasingly not thrilled with each passing day!)

The problem was I lost so much water that after a day it was no longer hot, nor filled to where the leak was.
So I refilled with boiling water.
The hot water method worked to an extent for part of the barrel, but that were 3 spots that just would not seal.

As prevoiusly stated this would not have been my choice of a barrel, but I am was not in control of what I was given.
I am trying to make the best out of what I have.
But in the end, does it matter if it was sealed naturally or with 3 globs of wax (and the screams of 2 burnt fingers)?

now I just have to be patient with leaving wine in there!

That's what makes this forum great! Anything needed to be known about you can be sure you will get some feedback to point you in the right direction! It has helped me many times in many different areas.... Don't be afraid to throw it out there before hand..... It's all fun to everyone!

It has been flushed and filled.
I anticipate leaving the Barolo in there for maybe 4 weeks. Then either a Brunello or Tuscan.

Do I need to use Barrelkleen before my next batch or is there another way to clean it in between wines?
ImageUploadedByWine Making1392342236.223953.jpg

It has been flushed and filled.
I anticipate leaving the Barolo in there for maybe 4 weeks. Then either a Brunello or Tuscan.

Do I need to use Barrelkleen before my next batch or is there another way to clean it in between wines?
View attachment 13763

You might want to check after 4 weeks and see how you like it.... It might need a couple more weeks depending on your taste. As for the next batch prep... I use a garden hose in my sinks to do a good wash out with warm water. Then I mix up a half gallon of kmeta sanitizing solution. Close the barrel and give it a good swish around. Quick rinse and drip and put another batch of wine in it.... Never had a problem like that. I don't like to get too aggressive with the cleaning because I am afraid of it impacting the taste of the wine. Also, you might want to look into the venting bungs they make for barrels. They seem to work real good for me instead of the solution lock tubes.

No need really as long as you drain and refill immediately again with new wine. You can rinse out the barrel if need be to get rid of any sediment or tartaric acid crystals and then rise with some KMETA or mixed solution of citric acid/KMETA as well.

Tried the Barolo after week 1.
I had lost 1 cup due to evaporation.

It is not nearly as oaky as I would have thought for being the 1st batch in the barrel.
However I can taste a change from the standard kit to a more well rounded actual wine!

Do you have a solid stopper or a breathable stopper and airlock on the barrel? After fermentation is complete, while you are aging in the barrel you can put a solid stopper in it.

Tried the Barolo after week 1.
I had lost 1 cup due to evaporation.

It is not nearly as oaky as I would have thought for being the 1st batch in the barrel.
However I can taste a change from the standard kit to a more well rounded actual wine!

That is about right..... It looses more at the beginning then slows down. But REALLY.... Did you expect some great change after only one week? Taste it in a month and see how it is going! Remember..... The hardest part of making wine is patience!

Last edited:
Note to Elmer:

The magic doesn't happen after one week…. or one batch…….

It happens at the 3 to 6 months time in the barrel and then one year (or more) in the bottle time frame.

Patience is a virtue in this hobby.

Yep Elmer, if you like it now you're REALLY in for a treat a year fron now. Congrats.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using Wine Making mobile app

But I WANT IT NOW!!!!!!!!

GIFSoup

In all seriousness, No, I did not expect a huge change in a week. However I have heard people indicate that the first batch in a barrel can get over oaked very quickly. Since there is alot of oak to be gotten.

I know when I was swelling the barrel that water came out brown.
So I just expected a noticeable oak flavor. I was expecting my first batch to be in there a short period and then all subsequent batchs for more and more weeks.
I was assuming (and I know what happens when we assume!) that the 1st batch would be in there for about 4 weeks, next would go for 6 to 8 and so on and so forth.
I am still planning on leaving the Barolo in there barrel for 4 weeks and then in a bottle for 1 year.
I want the barolo to have oak, but not over oak!

But I am being patient. While I am waiting I am allowing my brunello to clear, because that will go in next.

And yes I was using a airlock, but can switch to a solid stopper!

I don't have a barrel yet but reading this has made me wonder, what if? When you do your first soaks would saving that "dark" water be good. Could it be used instead of fresh water in a kit to start with some built in oak or would it just be like adding dirty water?
I don't recall reading any questions like this here.
Mike

I don't have a barrel yet but reading this has made me wonder, what if? When you do your first soaks would saving that "dark" water be good. Could it be used instead of fresh water in a kit to start with some built in oak or would it just be like adding dirty water?
I don't recall reading any questions like this here.
Mike

No way I would risk that. No yelling what amount of oak you are adding with no real way to taste till its done. But hey try it so we all will know. Hahaha

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wine Making mobile app

:u
The wife and myself tasted the Barolo after 2 weeks in the barrel.
Wife LOVED it.
It was oaky but the full potential has yet to come out (that will happen with age).
This was a revelation for my wife who declared "maybe I do like oak after all"
I am giving it one more week, and rack this weekend. Simply because I have to move 2 batches to free up a 5 gallon carboy and I have just been to plain sick to work on any wine.

Next up for the barrel will the be the Super Tuscan (the brunello is not clear yet)

Kraffty,
That is a very interesting idea, personally, from day one with my first barrel, I felt that I was washing a lot of that premium oak essence down the drain as we prep the barrels.
I have a good friend, a member here on the forum that has been making wine for years, he had actually told me about how he makes a liquid oak addition by soaking oak chips in water, then adding the liquid to the wine.

Back