WineXpert Musty taste in a single bottle of batch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derunner

Reaction score
I just finished my last bottle of WE Vintner Reserve White Zin. This is one my first kits pitched in 11/11 and bottled 4/12. All the other bottles were fine, but my last one has a slight musty taste. Any ideas on what caused this? Spoilage bacteria? Cork Taint? I drank a glass of it last night, but decided to not finish the bottle after I tasted it again tonight. If cork taint, I guess it would have been safe to drink?

ETA, it looked very clear in the bottle. I had pitched the cork before I realized it had an off taste.

I had the same thing happen with a bottle of Pinot Grigio that was the last one I bottled. After letting the bottle sit for a week, I noticed that it had a bit of sediment in it. After a couple of months, I opened it up to top up another batch of Pinot Grigio and the musty smell was gone. I took a sip of it and it tasted fine too.

WE suggests drinking Vintners reserve products within a year, so maybe it's just past its time.

Interesting, could be, but I probably drank one a couple weeks ago and it was good. Would a musty smell be one of the ways a wine past its peak ages?

I had the same thing happen with a bottle of Pinot Grigio that was the last one I bottled. After letting the bottle sit for a week, I noticed that it had a bit of sediment in it. After a couple of months, I opened it up to top up another batch of Pinot Grigio and the musty smell was gone. I took a sip of it and it tasted fine too.

Thanks, This was still very clear after a year. Nothing had dropped out of the wine. it would be interesting to know if it would have corrected itself with further aging, but since it was my last bottle and probably near it life.

Thanks for the response. Does anyone else have an idea about what would make single bottle go bad with a musty taste?

Cork taint or TCA is the most likely cause in a single bottle

derunner, I apologize for my answer. I totally misread your post and my answer looks a little ridiculous in hindsite. I agree with manvsvine, has to be a bad cork. I assume you store your bottles on their side?

Back